Reed & McIlroy Ryder Cup

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’m sure they’ll play opposite each other a few more times in their careers but for the Ryder Cup, if you are Bjørn do you try to match them up head to head or keep them apart (same poser for Furyk)

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m sure they’ll play opposite each other a few more times in their careers but for the Ryder Cup, if you are Bjørn do you try to match them up head to head or keep them apart (same poser for Furyk)

Why would you want to pair them ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why would you want to pair them ?

Both have a bit of a talisman tag in RC and getting beat head to head could have more than just the one point difference through the team

...and how do you know when the other Captain is sending out who?

Not held that position ;) but I'm pretty sure there is a awful lot of effort spent in trying to figure out the opposite teams running order each day and a fair few tactics/assumptions will make selection reasonably predictable

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both have a bit of a talisman tag in RC and getting beat head to head could have more than just the one point difference through the team

Not held that position ;) but I'm pretty sure there is a awful lot of effort spent in trying to figure out the opposite teams running order each day and a fair few tactics/assumptions will make selection reasonably predictable
How can it be predictable? Reed isn't their best player so they could literally have him anywhere in the line-up.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Reed is a bit of a talisman, and I think the US would like to pit him against Mcilroy. I don't think Mcilroy plays his best when paired with Reed. I think he gets too sucked up with the hype.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How can it be predictable? Reed isn't their best player so they could literally have him anywhere in the line-up.

They could but I'm fairly sure there's a lot more thought and planning goes into it than you think, such that captains can 'hope' to get certain players facing off by using all the information to predict who will play where in the running order and that this will change depending on how the overall match is balanced or what each team needs from each session

Its certainly not as random as he could play anywhere

D

Deleted member 15344

They have played one Matchplay singles match against each other and Reed won 1 up in an amazing match where they traded blows and it could have gone either way

It’s a bit reactionary at the moment isn’t it - i suspect yesterday will have no bearing at all on what either captain does in the Ryder Cup

You would think the way some are talking that McIlroy hasn’t won a singles match in Ryder Cup

Last edited by a moderator:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
They have played one Matchplay singles match against each other and Reed won 1 up in an amazing match where they traded blows and it could have gone either way

It’s a bit reactionary at the moment isn’t it - i suspect yesterday will have no bearing at all on what either captain does in the Ryder Cup

You would think the way some are talking that McIlroy hasn’t won a singles match in Ryder Cup

Maybe just a tad naive there

They have had two very high profile head to head contests (& yesterday easily had a match-play feel to the build up too) & McIlroy’s lost both. And you think neither the players or the captains will remember that in 5 months or that it won’t even be considered (even if dismissed) in the planning

I’m gonna give the captains and VC’s a bit more credit

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe just a tad naive there

They have had two very high profile head to head contests (& yesterday easily had a match-play feel to the build up too) & McIlroy’s lost both. And you think neither the players or the captains will remember that in 5 months or that it won’t even be considered (even if dismissed) in the planning

I’m gonna give the captains and VC’s a bit more credit

Yesterday wasn’t Matchplay - no matter what people will try and convince themselves but it wasn’t and neither player would have played it as Matchplay- they both stated as such. Trying to contrive some imaginary Matchplay situation out of it won’t change a thing. They have had one Matchplay match against each other and Reed squeezed past him - and that’s all the Captains May think about

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They could but I'm fairly sure there's a lot more thought and planning goes into it than you think, such that captains can 'hope' to get certain players facing off by using all the information to predict who will play where in the running order and that this will change depending on how the overall match is balanced or what each team needs from each session

Its certainly not as random as he could play anywhere
Obviously they try and plan for that but the chances of them deliberately matching up Reed to Rory are pretty slim.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yesterday wasn’t Matchplay - no matter what people will try and convince themselves but it wasn’t and neither player would have played it as Matchplay- they both stated as such. Trying to contrive some imaginary Matchplay situation out of it won’t change a thing. They have had one Matchplay match against each other and Reed squeezed past him - and that’s all the Captains May think about

Someone may want to check my maths, but comparing their scorecards if it was matchplay then it would have been all square