Recording your own golf swing / Online lessons

evemccc

Visit site
Does anyone use a pro for online lessons, what has your experience been? Pros and cons and why did you decide to go the online route?

How would I best go about recording my swing? What equipment do I need (aside from iPhone) like a phone stand etc, and how do you slow it down?

I reckon there’s value in seeing what I actually look like mid swing regardless of whether I go for online lessons (undecided whether to go down the online lesson path or not)

Pros obvs being price!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried it using the skilest app during the first lockdown, it's only as.good as the footage you send and I didn't bother doing a follow up.
there's nothing like instant feedback from a personal lesson.

Big Bandito

Hacker
www.stevenagegolfclub.com
On your iPhone there is the option to record video in slo-mo. This will be perfectly good for recording your swing.

In terms of other equipment, with a bit of fiddling you should be able to position your phone on your bag to keep it in place. Or you can get a cheap mini flexible tripod with an iPhone holder off of eBay. Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363256047183?hash=item5493bf664f:g:f60AAOSwtD5f~bdP (I don't have this exact one so can't recommend it) You can then easily attach this to your bag.

I prefer the option of the cheap tripod. That way there is no danger of your iPhone slipping down the club dividers and ending up in the bottom of your bag, which as we golfers know is a complete pain!!

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Any decent modern phone will have a camera good enough to get suitable footage and will have a slow mo option though you can just film at normal speed and then use the free V1 Golf app to slow down and analyze frame by frame etc.

You need to set up the camera correctly for down the line footage and face on...Google or YouTube how to do this to ensure you're getting the right angles/heights etc.

You'll probably need something to position the camera with, e.g.:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J96Q4ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_852FZ49KQ1HR2GSV8EFS

I use Skillest app for online coaching and the coach I use has been great. Look at reviews and prices on the app to get an idea of who you might want to work with though I guess it's much like a face to face lesson....some coaches will be great, others not so much.

evemccc

Visit site
On your iPhone there is the option to record video in slo-mo. This will be perfectly good for recording your swing.

In terms of other equipment, with a bit of fiddling you should be able to position your phone on your bag to keep it in place. Or you can get a cheap mini flexible tripod with an iPhone holder off of eBay. Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363256047183?hash=item5493bf664f:g:f60AAOSwtD5f~bdP (I don't have this exact one so can't recommend it) You can then easily attach this to your bag.

I prefer the option of the cheap tripod. That way there is no danger of your iPhone slipping down the club dividers and ending up in the bottom of your bag, which as we golfers know is a complete pain!!

Thanks for the detailed reply, and also @abjectplop and @spongebob59