Recommendations for a good stat analysis app?

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
I'm playing in my first qualifier at the weekend in my quest to obtain a single figure handicap in 2014, and was hoping some of you may have some good experiences with a good stat tracking app that I can employ this season to help reveal some areas to improve.

I currently use a free app from Nike (the Nike Golf 360) which gives me fairways (hit, missed left or missed right), greens in regulation (yes or no) and putts (how many).

What I'm looking for is something a bit more in-depth, perhaps looking at things like up-and-downs, sand saves, performance comparison on par3s, 4s and 5s etc.

Does anybody currently use any good ones?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use golfshot lite on my iphone free app give just the info your looking for. There is a full buy version with gps but if just stats takes 5 mins after round to log shots and clubs.

Others use scoresaver2.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used GolfShot for about 2 years and found it pretty good, but have decided to give scoresaver a go this season. I've used it twice so far and think its pretty impressive. It takes a while to set up though (enter course details etc).

I am pretty sure i will end up buying 'Game Golf' when it lands over here (in August).

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
GolfShot GPS for me. Expensive at £30 on Android, but it does what you need it to and a lot more (like calculate your handicap etc), and is a scorecard too if you want something to digitally record all your rounds?

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Golfshot lite for me too... free app on my ipod touch... little to no set-up required, will calculate a handicap for you and then stats such as scrambling %, sand save %, puts per round, puts per GIR, GIR % average for par 3s, par4s and par5s...plus it will graph your progress over time so you can see if the general direction you are heading (over the last 5, 10, 20 or all rounds...or something like that)... has most courses available as far as I can see...

Not tried anything else, but for free it's pretty good and is very quick and easy to use on course... no need to update after the event.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not an app, but scoresaver2 is a free download now. You print off a score card, fill it in while playing then transfer onto your PC. This has more stats than you'll ever need.

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Thanks for all the tips guys, will download the GolfShot for free I think and see how I get on :thup:

How do you expect having an app like this will help you get to single figures? Surely you know the areas you need to improve on?

I know from looking at my swing how it needs to improve technically, but sometimes trends can get lost in the bigger picture I think. For example, if I'm strong on par3s but hit few GIRs, perhaps my course management needs looking at, or if there's a strong link to driving accuracy and scoring then it may be worthwhile being more conservative off the tee.

It'll just be interesting to see what it throws up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips guys, will download the GolfShot for free I think and see how I get on :thup:

I know from looking at my swing how it needs to improve technically, but sometimes trends can get lost in the bigger picture I think. For example, if I'm strong on par3s but hit few GIRs, perhaps my course management needs looking at, or if there's a strong link to driving accuracy and scoring then it may be worthwhile being more conservative off the tee.

It'll just be interesting to see what it throws up.

Good luck with it, just dont get too addicted to what it throws up, you need quite a lot of data for it to be significant and by then a lot of the initial data is probably out of date

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good luck with it, just dont get too addicted to what it throws up, you need quite a lot of data for it to be significant and by then a lot of the initial data is probably out of date

A good point and one that I'd not really considered but perhaps should do while my hcp is on the move (down so far but my golfing career is early yet!).

Simon

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My golf pro keeps saying I should do Golf Data Lab, most of the County players use it as do the National juniors that he teaches. Their web page is pretty naff but apparently their spot on with their analysis

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is there something along the same lines as Scoresaver?
Loved the info and detail available, but no longer have a laptop, and don't really want to be entering detail into my phone mid round.
Any suggestions?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
golf stats coach is very good. you have to pay and its not cheap. I was against paying at first until I tried the free 30 day trial. its leaps and bounds better than the rest. if you have the free trial and wait you will eventually get a 33% discount code

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
golf stats coach is very good. you have to pay and its not cheap. I was against paying at first until I tried the free 30 day trial. its leaps and bounds better than the rest. if you have the free trial and wait you will eventually get a 33% discount code
That looks decent. Any stats not using Strokes gained are pointless now. I use the Taylormade app, but would be tempted by this

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do they do strokes gained? Is it part of their pay to use service?

no...i know they were looking into it at one point, but strokes gained isn't there at the moment. How you can work out strokes gained around a particular course without knowing everyone‘s data is interesting though.

a 30ft putt at one course is not the same as a 30ft putt at another...