Recommend a good priced telly

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the LG 6100 Scarlett which has 50,000-1 contrast. I got it for £630 and it is worth every penny.

It was my first LCD and I spent weeks checking the market out. The ame TV is in Comet for £999.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the LG 6100 Scarlett which has 50,000-1 contrast. I got it for £630 and it is worth every penny.

It was my first LCD and I spent weeks checking the market out. The ame TV is in Comet for £999.

good example andy... this Tv has been slated by supposed experts in home entertainment mags.. but like andy said is a nice telly worth its money!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since this thread is still going, I'm adding my pennies worth.

I have 3 LCD TV's and on each occasion, I have looked no further than Which? magazine for a recommendation.

I have an LG, a Sony and a Panasonic. They are all superb. All these makes are v.v.good.

I nearly bought a Regza (Toshiba) until I read the reviews!!!

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bang & Oulfsen are awesome but stupid money for what they produce.

I've heard B&O are made up from more or less 'pimped' Phillips components. Phillips is a much stronger , prestigious brand in Germany than it is here.

Mother has bought three LCD tellies over the last couple of years - all Toshiba- all good.

We went into quite a lot of detail at the time and the Bravia technology just didn't add up at the time. Perhaps things have moved on. Back in the days of CRT's Sony offered something truly different in it's Trinitron (different shaped pixels leading to better interlacing) but I'm not sure that there is as much clear water anymore.

Part fo the problem is that unless you up the quality of the input (525 lines, @ 50hz-'standard' or PAL telly as opposed to what passes in this country as High Definition PAL) then beyond a certain point it's all much of a muchness and just down to personal preference.

In this period of time where looking at the end of analogue and probably within 10 years of genuine full HD free to air then I certainly wouldn't chuck a massive wad of cash at a telly.

Can't remember the last time I bought one as i'm happy to take cast-offs from friends and relies. Currently got a 28" Sony CRT which does the job although I must have come close to popping a valve moving the thing in!

What i'll miss about it when it goes to the great telly heaven in the sky is the quality of it's sound- just wonderful. Therefore maybe sound quality should be something you look at as much as image quality when you buy.Might be another way of differenciating between models and brands in what is a crowded market.

Would have thought no matter what you buy you'll be able to name your price as consumer durables carry a low premium in a recession.

Have fun

bill