Recent Win - Downhill par 3

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The unit doesn’t know and doesn’t care :) The player though should know what they want to hit to e.g. 150 yds, depending on their shot shape, green condition etc. Same as they would know for a “flat earth” shot ?
All that explanation, and you still didn't, or couldn't understand why!
Oh well, you carry on thinking that hitting a golf ball results on a arc like a right angled triangle then! :oops:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The range finder isnt working out what the player needs to hit or how far any said club will fly/roll. Its working out how far away the pin is then calculating how far it is without the slope, hence the flat part of said triangle is correct, the pin does not move. Its up to the player to work out what to do with the new number, in the OPs case 198 on the score card has become 167 slope adjuates, he or she needa to work out what club to use and how far that club will fly/roll.
You need an actual caddie or a system like shot scope or arccos with a caddie function which advises you which club to hit, I know arccos bases its selections on how far you averagely hit each club, so in its own way that system is sort of using the players shot shape.
On flat ground, it simply states distance, as there's no need for an allowance for the slope - so reporting 'it's 153 yards, so whatever you hit 153 yds' will work - just as an actual caddie would. But with a significant slope, the adjustment has to use a generalisation regarding the player's shot shape - which might be out by a few yards. An actual caddie, knowing the player's shot shape is outside 'standard' might make an adjustment that the unit cannot.
And no, systems that use 'average values' don't handle 'slope' at all, even getting 'confused' by results from holes with significant slopes!
But 'Slope' systems work pretty well for most players, and those outside the 'standards' can adjust - or simply believe they struck the ball a bit better or poorer than normal.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I find strange about thoughts about strong downhill lies and using less club is that we have a very strongly downhill* par 3 of 220 yards but it still seems to play to 220 yards I very rarely club down because of the downhill but only because of the wind and it is the same for most of my mates. ( I know I am a high launch player)

*I would say some where in the region of 3 house heights.

Albo

Visit site
But with a significant slope, the adjustment has to use a generalisation regarding the player's shot shape - which might be out by a few yards.
It doesn't though.
The range finder he has will return the same value for him, you, me, Tiger, anyone who uses it. It neither knows nor cares who is holding it. It simply works out an estimation of the distance to the pin as if the pin were level with where the player is stood.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
What I find strange about thoughts about strong downhill lies and using less club is that we have a very strongly downhill* par 3 of 220 yards but it still seems to play to 220 yards I very rarely club down because of the downhill but only because of the wind and it is the same for most of my mates. ( I know I am a high launch player)

*I would say some where in the region of 3 house heights.

I guess the longer the ball is in the air the steeper its angle of descent becomes and this will shorten the distance travelled? Being a high launch player probably exaggerates it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It doesn't though.
The range finder he has will return the same value for him, you, me, Tiger, anyone who uses it. It neither knows nor cares who is holding it. It simply works out an estimation of the distance to the pin as if the pin were level with where the player is stood.
And that's the entire problem/issue! It's an estimate! Unlike the value on flat ground (or even with the slope feature turned off) where it's exact!:censored:
Here's a Bushnell description of how the Slope calculater works. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+rangfinders+with+slope+work+bushnell&sxsrf=APq-WBuSnysdWwOcI6jSHZBDnfEmkBDS_w:1649760606544&ei=XllVYoTxINHUgQb005PQDg&ved=0ahUKEwiEmKuXrY73AhVRasAKHfTpBOoQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=how+do+rangfinders+with+slope+work+bushnell&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyCgghEBYQChAdEB46BwgAEEcQsAM6BggAEBYQHjoICCEQFhAdEB5KBAhBGABKBAhGGABQ4QRYmx9gmyVoAXABeACAAXaIAYwHkgEDNC41mAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz#kpvalbx=_hllVYqnCIsv2gQaO5qzoDw30
Note that the value it determines is where the arc of the ball intersects the line of the 'adjacent' line of the triangle. Now consider where that would be if....
1. The arc of the shot was steeper and
2. If the arc of the was was flatter.
Answer...The values would be different! A high arcing shot would get a value shorter than required; a flatter arcing shot would get a value longer than required.
QED!

Note/FWIW: The arc in the diagram is unrealistically flatter than the norm.

Last edited:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I guess the longer the ball is in the air the steeper its angle of descent becomes and this will shorten the distance travelled? Being a high launch player probably exaggerates it.

Gravity and air resistance cause this, unless you can hit your ball hard enough to achieve orbit...

Albo

Visit site
And that's the entire problem! It's an estimate! Unlike the value on flat ground (or even with the slope feature turned off) where it's exact!:censored:
Here's a Bushnell description of how the Slope calculater works. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+rangfinders+with+slope+work+bushnell&sxsrf=APq-WBuSnysdWwOcI6jSHZBDnfEmkBDS_w:1649760606544&ei=XllVYoTxINHUgQb005PQDg&ved=0ahUKEwiEmKuXrY73AhVRasAKHfTpBOoQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=how+do+rangfinders+with+slope+work+bushnell&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyCgghEBYQChAdEB46BwgAEEcQsAM6BggAEBYQHjoICCEQFhAdEB5KBAhBGABKBAhGGABQ4QRYmx9gmyVoAXABeACAAXaIAYwHkgEDNC41mAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz#kpvalbx=_hllVYqnCIsv2gQaO5qzoDw30
Note that the value it determines is where the arc of the ball intersects the line of the 'adjacent' line of the triangle. Now consider where that would be if....
1. The arc of the shot was steeper and
2. If the arc of the was was flatter.
Answer...The values would be different! A high arcing shot would get a value shorter than required; a flatter arcing shot would get a value longer than required.
QED!
It has to be an estimate though, but I guess it depends on how accurate you need it to be. Certainly at my level I can hit 7i 160, or thin it close to 200, or fat it less than 70. If my range finder could look into the future and tell me what I'm about to do, then it'd be worth it's weight in gold

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It has to be an estimate though, but I guess it depends on how accurate you need it to be. ...
Agreed - and those who know their swing shape, compared to standard can adjust the estimate to compensate if necessary.

FWIW... Some lessons and practice would likely be more beneficial for you than a slope-featured RF!;)

Albo

Visit site
Agreed - and those who know their swing shape, compared to standard can adjust the estimate to compensate if necessary.

FWIW... Some lessons and practice would likely be more beneficial for you than a slope-featured RF!;)
I'll not disagree with any of that!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please tell us a bit about yourself and your course. I am one of a number of cynics on here who get suspicious of first-time posters recommending a particular piece of equipment.

I do hope the OP has not been put off by my cynicism - he hasn't responded to my invitation.