Rangefinders allowed in majors

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The PGA of America will allow distance-measuring devices in all three of its majors; PGA Championship, Women’s PGA, Senior PGA, beginning this year.

Good or bad idea?

D

Deleted member 3432

The PGA of America will allow distance-measuring devices in all three of its majors; PGA Championship, Women’s PGA, Senior PGA, beginning this year.

Good or bad idea?

Anything that speeds the game up.

Glaciers move faster than the modern pro, one of the reasons I don't bother watching.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A good idea but I remember Luke Donald saying a few years back that mostly the Pro wants front edge, back edge of bunkers, slopes etc rather than dead distance to the flag..so it won't speed things up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm hoping this has been trialled and it speeded up play rather than slow it down. My worry is yardage book, range finder, yardage book, check again. I hope I'm wrong and the trials suggest it speeds thing up.

No issue with it from a technical point of view, crack on.

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm hoping this has been trialled and it speeded up play rather than slow it down. My worry is yardage book, range finder, yardage book, check again. I hope I'm wrong and the trials suggest it speeds thing up.

No issue with it from a technical point of view, crack on.

Very strict shot clock with penalties enforced.

Do what they like but got to hit it a lot quicker than they do now. It would probably help a lot of them, too much thinking time not always healthy...

Failing that introduce a timer something like chess, if you exceed the time per shot its a penalty. That would be entertaining :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does that mean that prices for rangefinders will go up to cover the money paid to Pros who are using them?
And will we see bigger lettering and logos on the sides? ;)
You're not wrong, it opens up a whole new world of sponsorship. I'm sure Bushnell, Garmin and the others are all falling over themselves to get the numbers of the top players as we speak.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You're not wrong, it opens up a whole new world of sponsorship. I'm sure Bushnell, Garmin and the others are all falling over themselves to get the numbers of the top players as we speak.

plenty already have deals and advertise them in practise rounds pro ams etc, those deals will just get bigger

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great idea! Let’s hope it speeds things up.

Once they fix slow play in the pro game can they take a look at the amateur game as some work is needed there too.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They already have them
They use DMDs extensively on practice rounds.
Rory had o e strapped to his bag every day in the desert the other week.

D

Deleted member 15344

They already use them during practise rounds with a number of them already being endorsed by them

Overall this is a great idea and should hopefully speed up play - as others have said , green books removed next

D

Deleted member 23344

I too worry that golfers will use a laser to double check the current yardage book distance, not use it as a replacement.

D

Deleted member 16999

Will wait and see if it speeds up play, if not, then pointless.