Range finder advice

Visit site
Thinking about getting a rangefinder now black Friday is approaching.

Seen this on amazon - Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII Laser Rangerfinder for £123

Is there much difference between that and a bushnell which is at a much higher price point?

Another option is the shotscope LX at £180 but is the extra money worth it?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a Bushnell now but had a Nikon for many years and would thoroughly recommend it.

The new version might not be the same but my Nikon would continuously scan so you could move from object to object and the display changes. The Bushnell will lock onto something and that numbers stays on the screen unless it points at something closer eg you start on a bush at the back of the green then move to the pin.

You won’t go wrong with either.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nikon don't make bad stuff and the Shotscope has had decent reviews.
I think an important thing that gets overlooked with these is how they feel in the hand.
You've gotmto hold the thing steady for a second or 2 and if feels like there's a sharp bit sticking into your hand you're going to get mighty miffed.
I tried a Nikon once - at the GM PowerPlay thing at the Grove.
I had a Bushnell at the time and the Nikon felt so uncomfortable in the hand I didn't bother trialling it.
Some liked it so it's all down the personal preference

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thinking about getting a rangefinder now black Friday is approaching.

Seen this on amazon - Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII Laser Rangerfinder for £123

Is there much difference between that and a bushnell which is at a much higher price point?

Another option is the shotscope LX at £180 but is the extra money worth it?
I have one of those, maybe even an older version.
Every bit as good as a Bushnell.
Battery lasts a very long time too.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Nikon don't make bad stuff and the Shotscope has had decent reviews.
I think an important thing that gets overlooked with these is how they feel in the hand.
You've gotmto hold the thing steady for a second or 2 and if feels like there's a sharp bit sticking into your hand you're going to get mighty miffed.
I tried a Nikon once - at the GM PowerPlay thing at the Grove.
I had a Bushnell at the time and the Nikon felt so uncomfortable in the hand I didn't bother trialling it.
Some liked it so it's all down the personal preference
I had a Nikon and while it was a very nice piece of kit it was flawed in that the button to operate it was too stiff, consequently I was using so much force to activate it that it always moved off target and gave me an incorrect initial reading. Minor, but very annoying.
I currently use a Leupold, quality American device, rare as rocking horse poo in the UK.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a Nikon and while it was a very nice piece of kit it was flawed in that the button to operate it was too stiff, consequently I was using so much force to activate it that it always moved off target and gave me an incorrect initial reading. Minor, but very annoying.
I currently use a Leupold, quality American device, rare as rocking horse poo in the UK.
You depress the button once and then it gives you about 6 seconds to aquire your target.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I always found the Nikon to be a good rangefinder.
My only issue is I've yet to find any brand that works in fog!
Well I suspect that we won’t find one due to the basic scientific incompatibility of laser beams and precipitation attenuating the laser ‘signal’ and hence degrading performance and accuracy - a bit of a problem for the military and their laser-guided munitions never mind us golfers.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Well I suspect that we won’t find one due to the basic scientific incompatibility of laser beams and precipitation attenuating the laser ‘signal’ and hence degrading performance and accuracy - a bit of a problem for the military and their laser-guided munitions never mind us golfers.
Thanks for that, SILH. Never knew the science behind it (or bothered to find out! ?).

Brads

Visit site
Have to say, I have an Opticron one that I used for shooting for years, it’s super accurate.My missus bought me a PowaKaddy with gps. The rangefinder has never been out of the pocket. No comparison, the trolley wins every time

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Have to say, I have an Opticron one that I used for shooting for years, it’s super accurate.My missus bought me a PowaKaddy with gps. The rangefinder has never been out of the pocket. No comparison, the trolley wins every time
Isn't there a difference between the hunting/wildlife style in that they prioritize background whilst golf ones prioritize foreground.

Jason.H

Visit site
Never used a Nikon so can’t comment. The Bushnell I’ve been very pleased with.
Fog and drizzle today meant it didn’t work so I paced my yardages from the markers. ?
Must remember to take my garmin watch just incase

Brads

Visit site
Isn't there a difference between the hunting/wildlife style in that they prioritize background whilst golf ones prioritize foreground.
It doesn't prioritise anything, it's a simple aim and press button, get range.

To be honest, since I got a gps trolley it's never used for golf.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
At least your looking at decent ones. Two good brands and only had my bushnell but clarity of magnification and pin seeker vibrations would be the key things for me. Other bits are just nice to have. slope is good to start but wouldn’t say it’s game changing as you’ll know to kit another club uphill. I personally like that my bushnell has red numbers or black as I find red easier to read.