Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Hi All,

I appreciate there is a separate Algarve thread live at the moment, however, this is on a different theme!

Looking to play 1 round in June in the Quinta do Lago area. The 3 options are Quinta South, San Lorenzo and Vale do Lobo - Royal.
Unfortunately VDL Ocean and Quinta North are closed for maintenance.

San Lorenzo is the most pricey, but, some of the reviews are a little iffy, whereas the other 2 options both look quite compelling.

We are mid-handicappers and I understand these aren't overtly easy, so please factor in.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated, or likewise, any other suggestions:).
Thanks

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Have you considered Laranjal which is part of the QDL resort? I’ve played the North and South courses, and Laranjal beats them hands down.

I’ve also played San Lorenzo, which I thought was over priced, very over rated and where the customer service was abysmal. And the Royal and Ocean courses were good, but not great.

Laranjal is well worth a look.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Have you considered Laranjal which is part of the QDL resort? I’ve played the North and South courses, and Laranjal beats them hands down.

I’ve also played San Lorenzo, which I thought was over priced, very over rated and where the customer service was abysmal. And the Royal and Ocean courses were good, but not great.

Laranjal is well worth a look.

Thanks for this and reassuring to know that the initial perception of San Lorenzo from reviews, is ringing true on here!

I'd not read or seen much of Laranjal and was under the impression that it was inferior to the other 2 QDL courses - clearly not! :) I'll take a look.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another virtual vote for Laranjal. I've thoroughly enjoyed it every time I've played it. But from those in the list - QDL South. All the QDLs are well worth playing.

I'm only missing two 18-hole courses in the Algarve, and San Lorenzo was my biggest disappointment from every course I've played out there. Good layout but the condition was definitely not worth the money. It's definitely not the worst course, but was poor vfm.

Billysboots

Visit site
Another virtual vote for Laranjal. I've thoroughly enjoyed it every time I've played it. But from those in the list - QDL South. All the QDLs are well worth playing.

I'm only missing two 18-hole courses in the Algarve, and San Lorenzo was my biggest disappointment from every course I've played out there. Good layout but the condition was definitely not worth the money. It's definitely not the worst course, but was poor vfm.

Agreed. I was probably a little unkind in regards to San Lorenzo - it is still a really good course, but we were also not overly impressed with the condition. That said, it was the customer service, or the lack thereof, which really lingers in the memory, right down to a starter who never even bothered to leave his hut to greet us and give us any sort of information. Woeful given the green fee.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
QdL South has had a bomb spent on it over lockdown and was a decent course to start with.

Laranjal is a smashing course, we play it every time we're there. I prefer South, but I not completely certain about that decision! ;) Maybe a bit like Sunningdale New, it starts with its weaker holes, but it's a cracker.

San Lorenzo is great (I think) but folk have moaned about condition recently, its 5 years at least since I've been so can't comment further.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the responses - beginning to wish we’d got time for 2 rounds so we could compare Laranjal and South!

Any opinions on which is more suited to a mid handicapper? Or maybe it’s neither :ROFLMAO:

Newnsy

Visit site
Go there every November if I had to rate the courses in the area I’ve played it’s would be
1) Victoria (it’s quite long I love it but some find it hard)
2) South (but you could swap with Victoria always in perfect condition and the clearing out of trees has made a great change)
3) Old course ( some people don’t like the trees not as good condition as south)
4) Laranjal loads of fun but very open course excluding the water you can hit it anywhere
5) San Lorenzo ( echo what other people have said but when I last played it was in great condition but I think it’s a bit hit and miss)
6) North I don’t like the course personally was not in great condition last time I played it, quite tight and you need a buggy long walks between holes)

Billysboots

Visit site
Go there every November if I had to rate the courses in the area I’ve played it’s would be
1) Victoria (it’s quite long I love it but some find it hard)
2) South (but you could swap with Victoria always in perfect condition and the clearing out of trees has made a great change)
3) Old course ( some people don’t like the trees not as good condition as south)
4) Laranjal loads of fun but very open course excluding the water you can hit it anywhere
5) San Lorenzo ( echo what other people have said but when I last played it was in great condition but I think it’s a bit hit and miss)
6) North I don’t like the course personally was not in great condition last time I played it, quite tight and you need a buggy long walks between holes)

I enjoy the Old Course but they have had a tendency on more recent visits to cram far too many tee times in, making for some exceptionally slow rounds.

I’m also a big fan of Victoria but do agree it is perhaps one for the longer hitters. And unless things have changed it’s not especially cheap, but one I’d like to return to.

Newnsy

Visit site
I enjoy the Old Course but they have had a tendency on more recent visits to cram far too many tee times in, making for some exceptionally slow rounds.

I’m also a big fan of Victoria but do agree it is perhaps one for the longer hitters. And unless things have changed it’s not especially cheap, but one I’d like to return to.

I’ve only played Victoria once and got a free round because the hotel got over booked and they moved us up to Victoria and offered us a round :)

I agree about the time for the rounds but I just accept a 5hr round out in portugal but I’m on holiday so never mind. I always find Laranjal the slowest and I am never sure why when it’s so open

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Laranjal is probably a slightly more straightforward course for mid handicappers.
It's also my favourite of the 3 QdL courses. Just love playing there.
San Lorenzo was my least favourite course in recent trips to the Almancil area.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played VDL and the photos of the course look fantastic. Most of the talk was of the par 3 16 th which is a fantastic hole. But I thought the course was rammel. It just seemed that we were playing within a villa housing estate. Driving from hole to hole past countess houses. compared to some of the courses in the Algarve it is not very scenic at all