Question for owners of forged irons?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't use forged irons but a friend does and he has a lot of rusting/marking on the face of some of the clubs. Any tips on ways of cleaning them up a little; is it possible?

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
How bad is it? Some clubs have a raw finish and you can get some very small pitting on some forged clubs depending on the quality of the paint finish (the face is not normally chromed but painted instead) and when this occurs, use some very very fine grade wire wool and then clean with gun oil to help protect them. It won't ever get rid of it for good - the treatments on some courses can affect them as well as rain - but it will help to keep them looking as good as possible.

Depending on how old they are, you may have a case for replacement by the maker as well.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think bits of rust add to the character of a club......I hate the look of new shiney metal....It screams look at me.....Iv got new clubs and im gonna look like a wally when i miss hit them...

I use Wilson Staff FG Tour irons (Forged) but they have very small bits of rust..And mine are full of bag clatter marks....I love them and will have them for a long time to come..Nothing crazy.....You will always get this on the softer metal clubs anyway.... I have a friend that plays off 1 and uses Mizuno MP32's and they are so rusty it isnt even funny....Will he change them? Not on your life.....Tell your friend not to worry...They aint gonna stay that way forever...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I brought my MP32's second hand and they had some rust on them.

I just gave them a blast with some AC-90 (Similar to WD-40, but better) and went to work with a firm nylon brush.

Once a month or so I'l give them a blast and a good scrub in the same way just to keep them in good condition.

If the rust is pretty bad, I'd suggest a car polish, maybe something like Autosol. You don't want anything too abrasive as it will affect the finish of the clubs.