Q's regarding swing thoughts.

sean1098

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Started this year got a handicap of 17, but am finding it hard to play consistent now.

I think i'm thinking to much, but would like to know have you any swing thoughts at all, as im thinking of take away, down swing etc when im swinging.

Is this correct or am i trying to hard.

thanks in advance.

Sean.

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
Your thinking far too much mate

If you want a thought keep it sinple.

like take away with shoulders and finish with belt facing target

Build a pre shot routine and stick with it.

My pre shot routien consists of 3 swings

first one i get the feel for wrist hinge
and the other 2 i get the feel for starting the downswing with my body rotating.

Then i Just swing and dont think about much.
My body has the motions i just taught it

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
The best swing thought is no swing thought!

if you have to have 1, have 1 only, and only on shots from 120 yeards and in..

and keep it simple, like 'take it back straight'

Doc rotella!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You are talking to the king of the swing thought. I got to a point as most of the others on here will tell you where I got so wound up in technique I tied myself in knots. I tend to go in with no real thought and rely on a repetitive pre-shot routine to make sure everything feels comfy over the ball. If I do need something I tend to pick a specific point to aim at in the distance and focus on that as I swing.

These days I'm trying to just hit it, find it and hit it again and its proving a lot more enjoyble and performances have improved

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Swing thoughts = range/practice ground/garden/work(?!)

On the course, just hit it. If you've truly ingrained the stuff, why worry?.....let it happen. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't - but sooner or later it will.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Look at where you are trying to hit the shot, picture the shot, set up in a way that will make that shot happen, from there on in the best swing thought is "Now swing!"

If you do need to think of something simply make sure you commit to a good (aggresive) finishing position so that you hit through the ball with some commitment.

Regards
Dr.Sigmund James

vibeny

Visit site
when you try to do something,stick to it,don't need so much swing thoughts,just like the Dr.sigmund James say:trying to hit the shot,picture the shot,set up in a way that will make that shot happen.
and if you guys need to find the equipments,you can find them from:
http://www.newgolfclubs.biz

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Juok's idea is fine if you have a swing you can trust.

If you are struggling a bit you can get away with having a backswing thought as well. EG concentrate on the first two feet of your takeaway.

If you get into a good position at the top of the backswing, and finish with a nice balanced finish, then the bit in the middle will normally be ok as well.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
The only swing thought I employ is to finish with my hands high and complete the swing. I have a tendency to end flat and somewhere behind my left shoulder which produces hooks. Basically if the downswing is made towards the right target (ie the finish position) then the bits in between should be where they should be too. It's hard to swing all over the place but finish well.

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
The only swing thought I have on the course is:

Get your setup right.

Which isn't a swing thought really.

It has worked very well for me in the last couple of rounds.
I think that one should sort one's swing out in the winter... not on the course.

Lindyhop67

Medal Winner
www.perfectequilibrium.co.uk
We all have at least one swing thought, as it's impossible for almost everyone to completely free their mind. So, let's make it a good one.
If you're over-thinking try this one...
as you take your club away, up to the top of your backswing, count "one" then, as you come down, count "two" (from downswing to impact). You can count "three" on follow-through but I don't think you need it.
So..."one"..."two". And that's all. It'll keep your mind off anything else during your swing and also help you with tempo and breathing.
And...there are no rules to say that you can't do this out loud. You might feel a bit of a wally but you may have the last laugh!