Putting

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
So my putting at the moment is a little iffy. On the whole I pick the right line, more or less. The problem is length, I'm habitually short, mainly about 1-2 feet, others shockingly so. So sort from the obvious of hit it harder, how do you go about getting the ball to the whole or past it. I half solved it over the winter by changing back to my mallet putter. The extra weight seemed to get the ball up there, I think now my brain has cottoned on and I'm back where I started. Think some evenings on the putting green are in order.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
So my putting at the moment is a little iffy. On the whole I pick the right line, more or less. The problem is length, I'm habitually short, mainly about 1-2 feet, others shockingly so. So sort from the obvious of hit it harder, how do you go about getting the ball to the whole or past it. I half solved it over the winter by changing back to my mallet putter. The extra weight seemed to get the ball up there, I think now my brain has cottoned on and I'm back where I started. Think some evenings on the putting green are in order.

Glad to see you're down to a half sensible handicap Richard.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Jim, I've been playing really well since the last quarter of last season. Should be about 20 from how I've been playing. The putting has been misfiring the last few weeks, it's a deep lying problem though.that and the driver!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's sort of what I meant, how do I convince my brain though?

technique has to be able to have a repeatable controllable stroke (no extra hand action - so shoulders provide the engine to move the arms/hands/handle/putter as one unit)

then with that stroke there has to be a repeatable tempo or the individuals 1 ...2 (1 coinciding with end of back stroke/change of direction & the 2 'beat' happening through impact) everyones tempo a little ways different & individual good to use an app for tempo (metronome or tour tempo)

whatever the temp is that 1...2 or 1 ..&.. 2 remains the same whatever the overall length of the backstroke/throughstroke
that ways the small stroke at that 1 ... 2 tempo for say a 3' putt the putter head will be moving a bunch slower so less energy transferred through the ball
to that very same 1...2 tempo for a 20' putt where because the putter head is traveling further back/through it is also traveling a tad faster so more energy is 'smoothly' transferred through the ball

ways to practice on a flat piece of the practice putting green just take 3 tees put 2 tees 2' apart in a straight line place the third tee in the middle the ball then is adjacent to the middle tee
practice taking the putter back to the back tee (so 1' of travel back) through the ball to the just past the front tee - but to that 1 ... 2 tempo and on the practice green you working on just observe how far the ball travels - depending on green speed that distance of travel could be anything from 15' to 25' whatever doesn't really matter

but it is giving you a reference point of distance of travel a ball will go given that amount of movement back and through to a controlled tempo - that's the key to distance control - tempo of stroke to length of backstroke & through stroke
have to have decent hold on the putter handle through the lifelines have to have still head still lower body stroke controlled through shoulder motion so a reasonable technique
then it's consistency of tempo to length of overall putter head travel - so no 'hit' & no 'hit harder'

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Look 3 feet past the hole and concentrate on that distance. I often do it on days I am under hitting putts or slow up hill putts.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me, it's not thinking about it too much. When you throw a ball to someone, you don't stand there and think about height, strength, etc., you just do it. More you spend hovering over a putt, the more inconsistent you will be.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I've been up to putting a couple of times this week. I'd been using the 1-2 technique the coach recommended and saw much better results. Yesterday I went and got the putter re-gripped as it still had the original odyssey one on from 5 years ago and had gone a bit slick and was far too thin. While waiting for the adhesive to set I got the odyssey Versa #1 out for a run. BOOM. Everything was even holed or 6-12" around the hole, long and short. I was then a bit gutted at spending £20 on a new grip!
So today I went out for 9 holes and had 13 putts the second putts were all tap ins. Hope it continues through the weekend with a card in hand.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I've been up to putting a couple of times this week. I'd been using the 1-2 technique the coach recommended and saw much better results. Yesterday I went and got the putter re-gripped as it still had the original odyssey one on from 5 years ago and had gone a bit slick and was far too thin. While waiting for the adhesive to set I got the odyssey Versa #1 out for a run. BOOM. Everything was even holed or 6-12" around the hole, long and short. I was then a bit gutted at spending £20 on a new grip!
So today I went out for 9 holes and had 13 putts the second putts were all tap ins. Hope it continues through the weekend with a card in hand.

Good news. Keep it going

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me, it's not thinking about it too much. When you throw a ball to someone, you don't stand there and think about height, strength, etc., you just do it. More you spend hovering over a putt, the more inconsistent you will be.

For me...in one. Dr Bob advocates this thinking as well. Getting out of your own way