putting weirdness

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Why do you think this is breaking any rules?

Because I just knick a club out of my right handed mates bag And if not I just point to the Good Year Blimp that happens to be passing over head. And when they look up I kick it away from the tree. Simples. ;)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
what was wrong putting left handed? You said he had a natural ability for it...so why change him?

Well thats what i was asking! was i right to change him?!

In my opinion, if i were to score him, i would have given the left handed putting 7/10 and the right 6/10 so without a huge gulf between the two, i personally felt he would benefit from working harder on the right handed option. one reason is choice of putters!! AG had about 4 left handed putters and about 50 right handed ones to try..

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I played a match play once and when the match was done and dusted I had a go with the guys driver... well I was going to until I noticed it was a left handed club.... I hadn't noticed he was a leftie throughout the 16 holes we'd played. That's the only time I can pinpoint where I was categorically in the zone (...or a world of my own :mad:)

Just felt like sharing that :ears:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup we've a guy at our club who plays right handed then putts left handed, alas and I'm sure there is no correlation he is one of the slowest players too .

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am right handed and play right handed but very comfortable with left handed clubs. If I have a ball close against a tree I often make a left handed swing with the back of my blade putter to pitch it back onto the fairway.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
First thing you should do is tell him your mistake. If you don't he may find himself passing on the same misinformation

Interesting rule this - could it be interpreted that the Odyssey putters with a switchable face cannot be used as they have 2 putting surfaces that differ??

No because the face can't be altered during play. It must remain as set prior to starting the round. It doesn't have 2 playable faces. Basically the club can be right or left handed not both which is the reason some chippers are illegal. As said the exception is the putter as pictured.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Makes sense. I had heard that the face was 'lockable'.

Re left handed clubs on ebay - it isn't just ebay! I bought a Wilson Staff Vizor putter once for £88 online. It came left handed. Went to get it changed and the right handed ones were £120!!

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
My playing partner is left handed when writing, but does everything else, including Golf right handed.

Similar to me, I can play all racquet sports either way, but can only serve overhead left handed. I play snooker left or right handed, football both ways. Boxing and martial arts can fight either way too, but when I tried golf both ways it just felt more comfortable right handed for me, even though i write left handed.

I'd say whichever way gives the best results and feels comfortable is the right way for that person. If I could put better left handed but the rest of my game was better right handed I'd just carry a left handed putter. There are some pro's who practise both left and right handed so the swing is perfectly neutral rather than dominated by one side. But for us mere mortals I say what ever feels right and works

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guess it comes down to what you are most comfortable doing. I eat and write left handed, hold a racket in my left hand and play football with my left foot and would say I was a lefty, but I play golf right handed as well as cricket,snooker and the guitar.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i play right handed and putt left handed. Its a legacy from my years playing hurling which requires you to be able to strike the ball off either side. i kicked football with the right leg, write with my right hand and generally do most things right handed.
a friend of mine plays left handed but putts right handed.
a lot of iris golfers play cack handed as a result of their hurling days as generally hurlers hold the hurley with the right hand on top.

Holey

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm a bit of a weirdo too, I regularly swap hand for most racquet sports. Cricket-wise, I bowl right handed and bat as a lefty (never with any ability I might add).

I swing the golf clubs left handed, but putt right handed. I spent the first few rounds switching back and forth and couldn't settle on which felt more comfortable. At one point I had both a right and a left handed putter in my bag and would switch between holes.

It would be easier if golf was more like hockey - all hockey sticks are right handed, there's no option, if you don't like it then tough!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I played with a guy years ago that putted left and right handed. Longer putts were right handed, but when he got within about 15 feet he putted left handed. One of the best putters I have ever played with, and was off 4 from memory.

I broke my right arm when I was a nipper, and got out of school work for six weeks. Didn't let on that I could write left handed as well as right. :whistle:

Slightly off track one of my pet hates is footballers that can only kick with one foot. I seem to remember Andreas Brehme who scored the winning goal for germany in the 1990 World Cup final, took penalties with his right foot, but corners and free kicks with his left.