Putting question

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So, today I ventured on to the practice putting green with the string line GM kindly gave us many moons ago. I placed the peg into the grass centrally behind the cup and the other end on a straight putt but slightly up hill

I took my normal putting position which isn't right over the ball, (and I've seen plenty of Utube videos extolling that position) I rolled several 4 foot putts in perfectly well . I then set up the same and the ball was exactly bisected by the stringline according to my set up and I decided to look along the line from behind and, low and behold, the stringline was actually over the left side of the ball - now it's clear that from my normal setup I was looking at the line from a different angle and it just "appeared" to all be in line. I then looked directly over the ball with the stringline actually over the centre of the ball with a slight grip change (lower down the grip) the ball rolling better and I never missed.

So, finally, my question, what effect, if any, does not being right over the ball have on alignment and subsequent stroke particularly over a longer distance?

Cheers

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
"Parallax error." I'm not bright enough to articulate accurately but if you Google "parallax error" you'll get the answer.

I often do the drop a ball routine to check I'm over the ball. Stand over your ball on the practice green then drop a second ball from between your eyes. It should land on the ball on the green. My occasional fault will see me drop the ball an inch or so towards my feet, if you know what I mean.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
"Parallax error." I'm not bright enough to articulate accurately but if you Google "parallax error" you'll get the answer.

I often do the drop a ball routine to check I'm over the ball. Stand over your ball on the practice green then drop a second ball from between your eyes. It should land on the ball on the green. My occasional fault will see me drop the ball an inch or so towards my feet, if you know what I mean.

Cheers Brian, the main question is whether I will putt better with my eyes directly over the ball or doesn't it really matter

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Cheers Brian, the main question is whether I will putt better with my eyes directly over the ball or doesn't it really matter

General consensus is, I believe , that eyes over the ball is best but eyes "inside" didn't do Justin Leonard any harm.
Use what works best

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you've done it the same way for long enough, the brain will subconsciously compensate for parallax error. Also, a small parallax error over a short distance, e.g. 4 ft, might only mean the putt drops in the right half, if you're right handed, instead of the centre.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was just interested if there was any evidence that one method was right or wrong. I putted a few long putts on the course today and holed on or two good ones with eyes directly over the ball but it could be that I was concentrating more in trying a different technique?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our pro makes people practice their putting by only using their dominant eye. The other one remains closed during the address and stroke.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the fact that Odyssey's 'fitting' mat tells you if your eyes are over the ball or inside - and if so, by how much - points to there being no right or wrong.

https://www.mygolfspy.com/odyssey-eyefit-mirror/

If I make sure my eyes are over the ball I consistently hit putts to the left.

When I take my normal stance (an inch or so inside) somebody behind the line would tell me I'm aiming left, but somehow I hit them mostly straight.

Some will also say that where you have th ball set up laterally in relation to your eyes, the amount of offset on the shaft and even the shape and alignment aids on the putter will also affect your perceived line and consequently, aim.

I think it's just a case of finding what works for you.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the fact that Odyssey's 'fitting' mat tells you if your eyes are over the ball or inside - and if so, by how much - points to there being no right or wrong.

https://www.mygolfspy.com/odyssey-eyefit-mirror/

If I make sure my eyes are over the ball I consistently hit putts to the left.

When I take my normal stance (an inch or so inside) somebody behind the line would tell me I'm aiming left, but somehow I hit them mostly straight.

Some will also say that where you have th ball set up laterally in relation to your eyes, the amount of offset on the shaft and even the shape and alignment aids on the putter will also affect your perceived line and consequently, aim.

I think it's just a case of finding what works for you.

Utube videos suggest that too, I did see one that said if You're a putter who likes to feel a straight back and straight through stroke be directly over the ball and if you feel, in to square to in, be just on the near edge of the ball at address

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Have a look at Andy Gorman's video appearances with Shiels and Finch on You Tube. One of the top putting coaches, with PGA students. He is a strong advocate of not being over the ball as it adversely affects your arm position.

He recommends standing taller ands so having your eyes inside the line. Like has been said though, there doesn't seem to be a consensus right or wrong.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Have a look at Andy Gorman's video appearances with Shiels and Finch on You Tube. One of the top putting coaches, with PGA students. He is a strong advocate of not being over the ball as it adversely affects your arm position.

He recommends standing taller ands so having your eyes inside the line. Like has been said though, there doesn't seem to be a consensus right or wrong.

He does indeed, so I guess it doesn't adversely affect the putting stroke, or direction, and is the way I've aligned for many years