putting practice drills... anyone got any good ones?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
now I have almost cured my long game slicing woes I am working on a bit more putting, I have a couple to work on but wondered what ones are used by fellow forumers :)

cheers

G1BB0

a tee peg either side of the putter and swing thru it without touching them, a certain Mr Woods does this and he's above average

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did a drill for ages where you set up plenty of balls (8?) around the hole 12-24 inches away and send them home without making a backswing. I can't tell you what it achieves other than if you steer the ball or don't keep the face at the hole, you're going to miss.
I guess it forces you to make a positive through swing as well.

Maybe someone knows a downside?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
a tee peg either side of the putter and swing thru it without touching them, a certain Mr Woods does this and he's above average

Not anymore he's not

I place a tee down 1,2 and 3 paces from the hole on a relatively flat putt then put three time from each location and if you miss start again!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My fav is six 2-3 footers around the hole, if I hole all 6 I go to 4-5 feet, if I get 5 of those I go to 6-8 feet and so on in that fashion.

If I do not make the target I go back to the level before. It gives you a great variety but also promotes you to hole as many as possible.

My best was holing 2 of 6 ten footers on a really sloped putt and one of 6 15 footer for flat putts. If I can match that on the course then I should get quite a few birdies and pars! (sadly not happened yet)

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Practice your lag putting and the 3 footers

This is what Mickelson works on almost exclusively on his DVD.

He uses the clock drill (10 tees in a circle round the hole for 3 footers trying for 100 in a row (suggests amatures go for less) and for lag putting he hits 3 putts from 40 foot then 30' then 50' and finally one back at 40' trying to get them in the 3 foot circle.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good one I use is to have five balls and four tee pegs and start around 20 yards from the hole. Lay tee pegs, starting at 12 yards from your start position, every two yards, going towards hole. Now putt from the start position and try and get the first ball between the first two tee pegs (2 yards section between 12y and 14y away). Then the next ball into the next section and so on, until last ball is in or beyond hole. You only have one ball per section! If you miss a section, you start again.

Good for doing lag putt practicing. As you get better, you can increase number of balls, reduce section size, etc.