putting leasons??????

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
into month 5 of golf. i've had about 15 leasons and doing ok. been doing everything from driving to short game stuff like bunkers and chipping. the only area i havent covered is putting.

the reason i ask is it seems stright forward. do you need leasons for it. i count my putt's when i play 18, on everage i take 39 (average over my last 5 games)

so the question is do lessons help alot with putting or should i focus on other area's?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several things strike me here. Why would you not want a putting lesson if you've covered every other aspect. I had a putting lesson a while back and t was the best hour lesson I've had in a long time and really made a difference to my putting this season. I didn't always make the putt but stood there thinking I would and on the short ones in particular had every confidence in my technique.

If you are struggling but want to persevere with the self-help road then there are plenty of training aids to help. Although Bob is way too polite to self publicise have a look at the V-Easy. Very simple and very useful.

At the end of the day it is up to you but given the choice I'd be booking a putting lesson. However given the conditions, why not hang fire as a lot of clubs will soon be switiching to temp greens anyway and have it next Spring when the greens will roll better and get you ready for the 2011 season

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd say get the lesson.

There are absolutely none of the physical or natural ability reasons that you can't putt as good as anyone else out on the course.

If your pro said he could give you a driver lesson that would cut at least 5 shots off your scores would you take it?

Even 34 putts per round isn't great, but easily achievable with a solid putting stroke.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your pro said he could give you a driver lesson that would cut at least 5 shots off your scores would you take it?

Even 34 putts per round isn't great, but easily achievable with a solid putting stroke.

never thought of it that way. very good point. as a new golfer i supose its good to see balls flying 250yrds down the range for the price you pay for lessons. PUTTING LESSON BOOKED :cool:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The putter is the only club your sure to use every round and more importantly every hole, par3 par4 par5 dog leg , lay up doesn't matter what the hole is your are sure to have to use your putter atleast onece on it.

It doesn't matter if your hitting greens in regulation or in one, if you can't putt your card will stink! Get that lesson booked!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you should go for a putting lesson. Why not.

If it's any consolation, I was certainly taking more than 40 putts 5 months into the game.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Justone still does :eek: ;)

I love putting, it's the best part of playing golf so the more the merrier for me

I've always been in two minds about putting lessons as it's easily forgotten, it's such a feel thing. Yes you can get your alignment/stroke/grip checked or even buy 5 different putters but I don't think you can learn anything that you can't teach yourself or indeed learn anything that won't be wrong again 2 days later.

Firstly I guess you need to decide where your weakness is, long putts, short putts or maybe you are just crap at actually reading greens.

Bottom line, I guess, is that if you can afford a lesson then you might aswell have one

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have the putting lesson if I were you.

I had one at the start of this year and my putting is much better since. Still not that great though. Everyone I play with knows it and I never get given any length of put in match play or in games for money. :p I just find putting very boring, sometimes in winter if I’m going out for a few holes on my own, I don’t bother putting at all.

Maybe that’s the problem.
:mad:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a putting lesson although I didnt putt too badly. The Pro certainly pointed out a few things that started to shave one or two putts a round off my score. For me, you cant always see what you are doing wrong with a club and the putter is no exception, the Pro should see and put you right

Good luck

Chris

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a putting lesson although I didnt putt too badly. The Pro certainly pointed out a few things that started to shave one or two putts a round off my score. For me, you cant always see what you are doing wrong with a club and the putter is no exception, the Pro should see and put you right

+1. :)

I'm not great at putting, but at least the short ones are shorter than ever and I make a few long ones too since a) getting a properly suited club for a rubbish putter and b) having a lesson and c) getting the stick custom fit.

In fact, for a rather poor player generally, I feel quite pleased with my 77 t'other day.

3 birdies. One Monster. 32 putts overall. :)