Putting Help Required

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
My reason for seeking this help is due to the thread discussing how well the past season has gone on the course.

I had entered an estimated reduction but was not able to attain this goal ... because of my putting -SO HELP.

I have had the same statement re my putting over the many years " you are coming across the ball"

I accept this but no one has gone the next step by stating because .....

I am therefore hoping that this is the place for someone to say try this and it will work.

My putting stats are circa 40 putts per round - this is more than the total of my other shots- I am scoring 74ish max 80.
I am quite analytical about golf and I have studied many videos, watch all the top guys and indeed play in very low handicap chaps company but have not worked out the solution.
It is difficult with such a small swing to know what I am doing.

I have not been for a lesson and can't upload a video of my swing.

If this fails Santa will maybe provide a gift card for a lesson. However, looking at the input on this site, I feel sure this could save Santa some pennies.

Thanks in anticipation.

D

Deleted member 15344

What putter do you use ?

Do you feel your club face opens as you strike the ball meaning you push it right more often or is it the opposite ?

Do you feel your hands twisting or your hips and upper body moving as your putt ?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could have written that thread until my lesson a couple of weeks back.

I too was either cutting across the ball or pulling it left for a couple of reasons:

- My shoulders were aligned left so to putt the ball straight was a "slice"
- My stance was terrible with the ball too close to me and low hands meaning I had no room to swing the putter

What I now have is a much better stance, weight more forward (was on my heels) and the ball further away with higher hands making it much easier to align myself/shoulders and also give my hands plenty of room.

I had 5 birdies on Saturday and went from 39 putts to 30.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Setup and alignment are of paramount importance as mentioned above.

Assuming your setup and alignment are good (and this is obviously a big assumption), then pushing putts / opening the face at impact can often be caused by deceleration in your down swing. To address this, focus on a shorter backswing and accelerating through the ball on the downswing and at impact.

Edit - you may wish to try this even if you don't think you are decelerating.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Push a stick/cane thru your belt loops and try to make putts without the stick moving.

Get someone to hold one end of the stick if necessary.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
My fault I feel, is totally related to my right side - it refuses to move under freely on the follow through.

This is a huge problem with shorter putts. Longer putts do not create the same problem as the swing has a bit of action on it and I can go through the ball.

Currently holding the grip at top with left hand( I am right handed) and my right hand is now down on the shaft!

I have tried all types of putters, currently mallet, heavy type on Winter greens. My distance is ok just missing the hole - I suppose most often on the left of the hole.

I am considering moving the ball back to my back foot and rap with no follow through , eliminating the right side input, which is against what I consider the correct way to putt.

The annoying thing is that I have a good eye and feel but my stupid whatever will not always allow me to prove this!

mefromhere

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My reason for seeking this help is due to the thread discussing how well the past season has gone on the course.

I had entered an estimated reduction but was not able to attain this goal ... because of my putting -SO HELP.

I have had the same statement re my putting over the many years " you are coming across the ball"

I accept this but no one has gone the next step by stating because .....

I am therefore hoping that this is the place for someone to say try this and it will work.

My putting stats are circa 40 putts per round - this is more than the total of my other shots- I am scoring 74ish max 80.
I am quite analytical about golf and I have studied many videos, watch all the top guys and indeed play in very low handicap chaps company but have not worked out the solution.
It is difficult with such a small swing to know what I am doing.

I have not been for a lesson and can't upload a video of my swing.

If this fails Santa will maybe provide a gift card for a lesson. However, looking at the input on this site, I feel sure this could save Santa some pennies.

Thanks in anticipation.

I have an idea for you 19th that has completely stopped me from being "out to in" for want of a better phrase and massively improved the line that my putts start on. When you step up to putt, set up as normal ... ball just inside front foot etc and then when you're set, try and get a feeling of lifting your front shoulder directly vertically upwards. (as if trying to reach your ear) but keeping your putter still.

Then, whilst making your stroke keep your shoulder in that place effectively keeping a static point for the arms to move from which should keep your putter on a straighter path.

I say should, it's what I've found works for me! Give it a go and see what happens!

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Folks for your constructive suggestions.

V easy on its way, mirror on way and new stance to try, amongst others ..... thanks again and the carpet better be good quality or I will have a putting path right along the centre.

Thanks again.