Putting (closed stance)

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
After my last round consisted of 43 putts I’ve been having a play around with my grip and stance.

One that seems to be working (indoors on a PuttOut) is a claw grip, with a slightly closed stance.

Just a general question really, but why is it that a closed stance in putting is generally a no no?

My main fault with putting is that I cut across the ball from out to in, with my takeaway generally being at fault straightaway (guessing I’m a bit ‘handsy’ at that point)
So with this style above, i feel like able to tuck my right elbow a bit more to my side and this provides a bit more stability in the initial move.
Any thoughts? What fault am I likely going to introduce with the new method?

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I played around with that claw grip having a slight arc in my stroke and I was getting very consistent with it, I would point my elbows out to the side and stroke like your rocking a baby and that cut down on face to path inconsistencies, I'm still playing around with a couple of grips and strokes, but I definitely find the claw grip is very consistent on shorter to medium lenth putts

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
I played around with that claw grip having a slight arc in my stroke and I was getting very consistent with it, I would point my elbows out to the side and stroke like your rocking a baby and that cut down on face to path inconsistencies, I'm still playing around with a couple of grips and strokes, but I definitely find the claw grip is very consistent on shorter to medium lenth putts
The face to path ‘wobble’ is what I struggle with. Feel like by tucking my arm this helps that. Might give your method a try also though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose closing you stance might encourage you swing in to out.

personally i don't pay much attention to my stance... though i'm quite open. i just worrry about the path stroke and nothing else