Putter lengths: need a change...

Visit site
Eh up me ducks. Dumbass question alert...

With a return to golf on the horizon I'm looking to upgrade my very old, very rusty (and not expensive) putter. I think it's a 35 inch and find that the more I played last year, the more I gripped way down on the shaft - even slightly off the bottom of the oversized grip. So I'm thinking that I should move to a 33 or 32 inch. Does that make sense?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eh up me ducks. Dumbass question alert...

With a return to golf on the horizon I'm looking to upgrade my very old, very rusty (and not expensive) putter. I think it's a 35 inch and find that the more I played last year, the more I gripped way down on the shaft - even slightly off the bottom of the oversized grip. So I'm thinking that I should move to a 33 or 32 inch. Does that make sense?

If thats what you want to do why not, easy to do, just buy a cheap pipe cutter and try and save the grip to keep cost down. You can always extend it again if its not quite right.
My putter(s) play to 33

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cheap solution - Try out as many lengths as possible until you find the one that feels the most comfortable for you - then stick with that.

Expensive solution - get fitted and find out what the professionals recommend.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am 5’8 and play a 32” putter. Not been fitted or anything it’s just what I arrived at after lots of changing, feels most comfortable. 32 is quite short, maybe try 33 first and see how it feels.

If you are going the DIY route be sure to pack out the butt of the freshly chopped putter shaft. They taper, so the butt end of your 35 will be thicker than the new one when you cut it. If you don’t pack and wrap it properly the grip will feel loose at the butt and it is a pain in the butt.

Visit site
I am 5’8 and play a 32” putter. Not been fitted or anything it’s just what I arrived at after lots of changing, feels most comfortable. 32 is quite short, maybe try 33 first and see how it feels.

If you are going the DIY route be sure to pack out the butt of the freshly chopped putter shaft. They taper, so the butt end of your 35 will be thicker than the new one when you cut it. If you don’t pack and wrap it properly the grip will feel loose at the butt and it is a pain in the butt.

Thanks for the replies. Good point on height. I'm just under 5'10 (1.76 in new money) but have the posture of a knackered old vulture so probably address the ball like someone of your height. I won't go the DIY route as my putter was well under £100 12 years ago and is rusty as hell. It's certainly not worth saving...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My current putter is a 34” odyssey two ball. I love it but it’s an inch to long. During the winter months when wearing more layers a few times the top of the putter shaft has snagged on my coat affecting my swing/ putt length.
I bought a truss putter during lockdown which I just could not get on with. But the length was 33”. It was perfect, my hand fitted on the putter grip perfectly. So am either lopping an inch off me two ball or buying a newer putter. Having had an unpleasant time with the truss I, will be a bit more careful in going down the new route.
Edit to say I am 5 ft 8”

Visit site
My current putter is a 34” odyssey two ball. I love it but it’s an inch to long. During the winter months when wearing more layers a few times the top of the putter shaft has snagged on my coat affecting my swing/ putt length.
I bought a truss putter during lockdown which I just could not get on with. But the length was 33”. It was perfect, my hand fitted on the putter grip perfectly. So am either lopping an inch off me two ball or buying a newer putter. Having had an unpleasant time with the truss I, will be a bit more careful in going down the new route.
Edit to say I am 5 ft 8”

Interesting - thanks. I'm looking at the 2021 Odyssey 2-ball, which I think pretty close in shape to my old Bionik cheapy. That can be ordered in 33' for delivery in a week or two...

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If thats what you want to do why not, easy to do, just buy a cheap pipe cutter and try and save the grip to keep cost down. You can always extend it again if its not quite right.
My putter(s) play to 33
I tried that. The butt of the putter was a lot tougher to get through than I thought it would be getting through a chromed putter shaft is a lot tougher than cutting a piece of copper pipe.
For me, I', 5'8" and have my putters at 32" as that's what suits me. Everyone is different so cut it to what meets your needs. If you scout around you may be able to buy a cheap putter of the correct length.

Visit site
I'm another who's 5"8 (on a good day) and play a 33" putter.
Last one I got was a 35" and cut it down.
If you go this route make sure you allow for the extra bit of length the putter grip will add to overall length when its fitted. You will need to trim the shaft a bit sorter than you originally plan

Tashyboy

Visit site
Interesting - thanks. I'm looking at the 2021 Odyssey 2-ball, which I think pretty close in shape to my old Bionik cheapy. That can be ordered in 33' for delivery in a week or two...

I love my two ball, the simplicity of lining up the three balls works for me and hitting on that line. I was sold on the truss putter head being more stable. But the concept just did not work for me. I couldn’t get the line at all. Good luck whatever you choose.

D

Deleted member 23344

I’m 5’10” and I use 33” putters. I got a putting mirror and found that my eyes weren’t over the ball with longer putters. Charts suggest 34” for my height, but I have legs that are short for my height. I cut 1” of one putter shaft with no problem, but I had to take the other one to a pro for him to use a pipe cutter.

Visit site
I love my two ball, the simplicity of lining up the three balls works for me and hitting on that line. I was sold on the truss putter head being more stable. But the concept just did not work for me. I couldn’t get the line at all. Good luck whatever you choose.

The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of an orientation line, which I'm used to. I could fork out a bit more and get the Triple Track 2-ball putter, I suppose... It was my birthday yesterday and I got £350 towards golf gear - a nice little slush fund.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m 5’10” and I use 33” putters. I got a putting mirror and found that my eyes weren’t over the ball with longer putters. Charts suggest 34” for my height, but I have legs that are short for my height. I cut 1” of one putter shaft with no problem, but I had to take the other one to a pro for him to use a pipe cutter.

I used to think your eyes had to be over the ball, but apparently it ain’t necessarily so. It’s wherever your eyes make a parallel line through the ball to the target and that may not be directly over it. Probably is for most people but not all.
Check out Video by Mike Massala I think his name is, recommended by someone on here.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to think your eyes had to be over the ball, but apparently it ain’t necessarily so. It’s wherever your eyes make a parallel line through the ball to the target and that may not be directly over it. Probably is for most people but not all.
Check out Video by Mike Massala I think his name is, recommended by someone on here.

Mike Malaska?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Take your normal putting posture and let your arms just hang. Then bring your hands together and that where the grip should be with about an inch sticking out above your upper hand.

IMG_2623.jpg

Tashyboy

Visit site
The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of an orientation line, which I'm used to. I could fork out a bit more and get the Triple Track 2-ball putter, I suppose... It was my birthday yesterday and I got £350 towards golf gear - a nice little slush fund.

it’s odd how folk look for the little differences. I have looked at the triple track which I love the look of, but the three lines put me off ?. Horses for courses and a happy problem to have.

Re having eyes over the ball. When I had me putting lessons years ago which I try to stick to. I was told to lay the club head behind the ball so It sits square to the floor. This meant I was more over the ball. Not quite eyes over, but not far off. What I was doing is not getting over the ball, standing to far away which meant the putter was toe up. This caused me to hit a few putts off the bottom of the club head Face. You could tell the difference In a correct putt ( coming off the face) and a bad one just by the sound of it coming off the bottom.
Edit, oddly enough just seen Bobs post and that’s more or less me stance.??
Cheers Bob

Visit site
it’s odd how folk look for the little differences. I have looked at the triple track which I love the look of, but the three lines put me off ?. Horses for courses and a happy problem to have.

Well, I've pulled the trigger on the Triple Track from Clubhouse Golf. It means I've got less of my slush fund to put towards other things but I'm just about to start a new job so can justify treating myself...

If I'm not putting like Matt Fitzpatrick within hours I'll be writing a strongly-worded letter to Odyssey.