Putter length

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Out of interest what length putter do people use in relation to their height. The off the shelf seem to range between 34-35 with some offering 33.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
6ft and I think my putter is 34" but I'm not too sure or, for that matter, hugely bothered. It feels right and that's what counts

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should get a long detailed response from delc in due course...one of his favorite subjects.

Having back problems (including much surgery and little flex) I use a slightly longer shaft than was technically fitted for me so that I can always get into my stance with comfort.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got fitted for a 34" - which was based more about the way I stood and held the grip than height.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'm 6'6" tall and I'm using a 39" counterbalanced putter that is gripped slightly down the shaft, probably effectively a 37" putter if you're looking at conventional lengths.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
5'9" and a 34". I bend more than most, and from the back it has been commented that with my elbows out I look like a taxi with its doors open. Putting is the best part of my game, so I'm happy.

Playing partner of many years is 5'5" and has cut his down to 31". He's gone from being poor to a tadge better than average.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
6.0 ft and 34" custom fit.

It came off the shelf at 35" for 11 yards extra off the tee.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tried longer as I am taller than average, but quickly went back to 34 (I'm 6.3). Putting and putters is such an individual thing that i think the norms go out the window so much more than any club.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
6 2 and 37 1/2 inches. Counter balanced, and I hold it where ever I fancy for the putt I'm hitting.

I quite like 34 inch putters, but dislike 35. 36 is OK though, and most of my putters are at 36 1/2.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
5ft10 and currently using a 34" Taylormade Spider, only using it as my mate gave me it as a hand me down. :D

D

Deleted member 21258

Abut 6 foot and my putter is 34 inches, but I grip right at the bottom of the grip(left hand down).

After the other thread, over the weekend I tried Adams childs putter and I reckon length wise I could putt with that if I wished to(have to measure the putter later to see how tall that is, out of interest to me)

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Seen a few clips on You Tube about this, including Andy Gorman with Peter Finch, suggesting the traditional "eyes over the ball " is not right for everyone and it's more about stance and arms hanging naturally, meaning that there is no ideal length for a certain height of golfer. Views?

I have cut down to 33 inches in the past but now have a 34" and don't feel I am noticeably more upright and eyes off the target line.