Putter Fitting

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this has been covered before but, having just had yet another otherwise good round ruined by poor putting, I have decided to have some putting tuition. But first I feel I might benefit from a putter fitting; i.e. find out what head is best suited to my action and the right length of shaft., etc. Has anyone here had experience of a putter fitting and can anyone recommend somebody in the South East of England (ideally Sussex, but I can travel). Thanks.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had putting fittings and after the honeymoon period it made no difference. However, I had a putting lesson with the quintech system and found out that I hit my putter with neutral shaft lean at impact. Meaning I hit the ball with 5 degree of loft!!!!!! I had my putter bent to 1 degree of loft for an experiment and have never looked back

shane3003

Visit site
I went for a putter fitting this week at Precision Golf, found it a great experience.
We began assessing and analysing my current putter and stroke. Which my fitter went into great explanation and even gave me a few points to try, which I really liked.

I got to try a lot of different putter heads, grips etc. Checked my alignment on different head styles to confirm which suited me.

It wasn’t cheap however I do feel it was worth it and I took away a lot from the session.

I’d definitely recommend having a putter fitting and Precision Golf.

User20204

Visit site
Sorry if this has been covered before but, having just had yet another otherwise good round ruined by poor putting

When you say ruined to what extent ? Are you three putting from 50 feet, repeatedly missing from 6-8 feet, what are your expectations ??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's definitely worth getting the right putter for your stroke. Most of my bag is second hand gear, but for my putter I did a proper fitting session and bought new to get it right. The way I see it, you probably hit 30-40% of your shots with the putter, plus when you get the right one that works there's no reason to change it for years and years. Because in my opinion, while drivers could maybe be usurped by newer technology, with a putter it's just about weight, feel and balance - if you have them right then you're set for life.

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a fitting in December (Gatwick golf studio) which I found really interesting and the results of where I strike the ball with the putter and the actual stroke used was consistent over 90% of the time.

They found I didn't need a new putter and was very good with what I was using however as was a 2004 one I wanted to replace it. Results found I needed it adjusted by four degrees. Unfortunately for me new putter is not at present in the bag as hate it from three foot or under and have lost all confidence in it so in hindsight very good fitting experience but don't expect too much.

User20204

Visit site
I had a fitting in December (Gatwick golf studio) which I found really interesting and the results of where I strike the ball with the putter and the actual stroke used was consistent over 90% of the time.

They found I didn't need a new putter and was very good with what I was using however as was a 2004 one I wanted to replace it. Results found I needed it adjusted by four degrees. Unfortunately for me new putter is not at present in the bag as hate it from three foot or under and have lost all confidence in it so in hindsight very good fitting experience but don't expect too much.

Great points there, seems to me some think getting a putter fitting will solve all their problems when 99 times out of 100 it's the Indian not the arrow and like everything in this game it's all about confidence.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert but wouldn't it be better to have a putting lesson before getting a new putter or fitted for a new putter? It could be something as simple as your set up.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
If it helps, putting is the single biggest improvement i've made to my game over the last 12-18 months. i don't consider myself to be a very good putter, so my focus has been to change that. I started with the technical side. Got my fundamentals right through an initial lesson and then a lot of practice afterwards. Now i know that my technique is sound, I then got myself fitted for a putter to make sure that what i was putting with was right for me. I've recently had a second putting lesson that;

a) confirmed that technically i'm doing the right things, stroke looks good
b) the putter i'm using is right for my stroke
c) i can now focus on feel when i'm playing and take all the technical stuff out of my head

This process has made a massive difference to my game.

So, in answer to your question yes a putter fitting is important, but don't stop there if you are seeking the holy grail of being considered a good putter.

Hope this helps.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the most important think you need for putting is confidence in your putter and your ability to hole out.
I have never had a putting lesson or been fitted for a putter, but I do know certain types of putter don't suit my stroke or my eye.
What I have now is a gorgeous putter both to look at and to use.
When I get onto the green, I know in my head I am going to take no-more than 2 putts. It's a thought I have always had long before I bought the putter I now use.:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the most important think you need for putting is confidence in your putter and your ability to hole out.
I have never had a putting lesson or been fitted for a putter, but I do know certain types of putter don't suit my stroke or my eye.
What I have now is a gorgeous putter both to look at and to use.
When I get onto the green, I know in my head I am going to take no-more than 2 putts. It's a thought I have always had long before I bought the putter I now use.:)
I have exactly the same thought as well, but sometimes I'm wrong. :LOL:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will have the lessons first and then, depending upon the success or otherwise of that, have the putter fitting.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry if this has been covered before but, having just had yet another otherwise good round ruined by poor putting, I have decided to have some putting tuition. But first I feel I might benefit from a putter fitting; i.e. find out what head is best suited to my action and the right length of shaft., etc. Has anyone here had experience of a putter fitting and can anyone recommend somebody in the South East of England (ideally Sussex, but I can travel). Thanks.

For almost 10 years excluding covid, I’ve on average changed my putter twice a year. Last year I had enough and went for a sam lab fitting at west Kent and it was the best investment to date I think I’ve had in golf. The 45 min session gave me my exact spec:

Shaft length
Low angle
Loft
Grip type
Head type
And the balanced point.

I have the odd off day but it is without doubt the best my putting has ever been and the amount of putts holed has definitely increased.

I then when to silvermere who have the biggest choice in putters including stock and also the workshop on site, I spent an hour or so trying different makes/models to that spec. Depending on your budget will influence the next step, but I opted to invest in a scotty as I knew this would prevent me looking at other models if I see them for sale.

Best thing I did.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I doubt very much there is any such thing as a scientifically based 'specification' of a putter for anyone. I would say anyone can play just as well with any putter. But putting is a mental game more than a technical one, and so the step of simply buying the most expensive you can get your hands on has merit. You at least remove the temptation to 'upgrade', and have some element at least of - it cost me £400 (yes, we know its production cost was probably only £20, but still), so it cant be the putter.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
@Backsticks , while I agree putting with confidence is key, my putting has always been inconsistent at best. Not different to a club fitting the sam lab system looked at everything a customer fitting would look at, specifically stroke, arc, loft at impact, lie at impact, and lengths. I’ve always “ preferred” 33” putters yet it turned out it was doing the most damage to my scoring. My putter had a blip a few rounds ago and after a night on the putting green I noticed I’d started creeping down the grip again. Back to keeping my thumb on the P of the grip logo and I’m putting at 35” again.

It’s the little things….

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I find changing putter each week has a very beneficial impact on my putting.

When the putter is changed I need to re-find the sweet spot and then concentrate on bringing the sweet spot squarely back to the ball. Using the same putter all the time I'd start to take for granted that I'm hitting the ball from the middle of the putter and very soon I wouldn't be.

D

Deleted member 23270

I bought a new putter the other day, didn't have a fitting just tried out a whole bunch from the shop on the practice green and went with the one that gave the best combination of confidence and holed putts. Went with an Odyssey double wide as I prefer the look of a blade but tend to putt better with a mallet and this is a bit of a hybrid between the two plus I wanted a fairly soft insert. It also has a thicker grip which I'm starting to prefer these days.

https://www.jamgolf.com/product/ody...Ohp9C5HPr8ffk4j3GGBXDHYIKSWQsQcAaAjd3EALw_wcB