Putter change?

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I know some people change their clubs more often than their underwear! :eek:

My problem is my putting.

Got a cheapo blade type putter with my original beginners set. TBH I putted ok with it. However, like you do, I fancied something a bit better known and better quality so opted for a TM Rossa mallet type. Went ok for a while but still not good. Always liked the look of the Odyssey 2 ball. Had a play around in the golf shop and convinced myself it was the one for me as I loved the look of it.

Bad decision, I can't bloody putt with it to save my life. It now sits unloved in the garage (anyone wanna buy it?) :D
I've actually returned to the TM but still think a blade would suit me.

Are there any sure fire ways of knowing what putter is best for the individual, or is it just a matter of personal choice?
Fancy looking at either a TM blade or Odyssey blade as I like the feel of the soft inserts on the face.
I seem to have improved my alignment when putting but still miss left and right sometimes. My main problem is leaving them short.

Would I be wasting my hard earned replacing what I have?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You have a decent putter. It's not the club, it's you.
I've got a Yes Tracy. Love it to bits. But if I'm putting a wonky stroke on it, I could have a £3,000,000.00 diamond encrusted, solid gold one in my hands and still putt like a knob on drugs, pissed and half asleep.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you can afford it change the damn thing.

Putting is as much about confidence as it is technique ( well it's not, but after technique it comes a close second ).

Take a load of putters out on the practise green, and try them all.

Having said that. I want a Ping 1/2 craz-e. What I've got is Smiffy's old MD Superstrong Aladdin. I had it cut down and stuck a new grip on it, and it works. It feels better than my old putter, so I have the confidence in it. I also know I'm a bad putter - I don't practise enough to be otherwise. That's my fault, not the club.

So compromise is a good alternative. My old putter had really bad alignment aids. The Aladdin is really good at that. The actual alignment itself is where me and my eyes and brain get involved. Guess where the weakspot is :eek:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I picked up a Rossa in the pro shop and knew it was the putter for me... "I can't miss with this" I thought at the time, I was wrong :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its about personal taste. I desperately wanted a blade style putter and got the TM Rossa Daytona. I struggled and so got an itsy spider instead. Decided that I wanted to use the blade and so had a lesson and persevered but I could be very good or crap. I'd had my eye on an odyssey black tour series in the #9 style but couldn't justify the price. However HID got me the white ice version and my stroke is better and I'm much more confident and no surprise I'm holing more too