Putter Advice

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am new to the site and am in need of some advice. I am looking to purchase a new putter as I am currently using a run of the mill dunlop one that you get in those package sets and believe that it is holding me back. I am not currently a member of a course and don't have a handicap but I estimate that it's around 23 (so a relative newbie). My dilemma is where get the new putter. I was looking in to custom fitting so that they could point me in the right direction and also my current putting style is very bent over so even a 33" putter is too long but am not sure if it's good value for money compared to buying one off the internet. I am also aware that my putting style could change especially if I have lessons which I am also thinking of doing.

Any advice on the matter will be very helpful.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
its a tough one. It may well not be the putter but your style/grip/posture

maybe see about a lesson 1st, if you are relatively happy with the rest of your game then a half hour putting lesson is a much better option than possibly shelling out on something that may not benefit you long term

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have 1 lesson and see what a pro says. It may cost you a few ££ but could save you spending £££. Oh and don't try a Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 like I did earlier. I am now craving for that putter.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have 1 lesson and see what a pro says. It may cost you a few ££ but could save you spending £££. Oh and don't try a Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 like I did earlier. I am now craving for that putter.

If you get desperate let me know, Ive one I can probably let go (if I can get it back off Alex1975 lol)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice would be chat to a pro. Get a lesson and make sure the basics are right first. After that it will depend on whether you are a down the line putter or prefer and in, square and in type. That will have an influence on the type of putter to get as they are weighted differently according to what style they suit best

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How many putts do you do in a round?
What's your 'bad putt'? Ie distance lag putts or the short ones?
Do you regularly miss left or right on the short ones?
How does a putt 'feel' ie consistently solid or clunky mis-hits?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
IF you have a really bent over style you will probably find that it will get changed when you have a lesson. So go with what people have already said and get that lesson first. The person you have it with may be able to give you some advice as what would suit you. But the best place to buy it is from a golf superstore, preferably one with a proper outdoor putting green rather than than the carpet one they always have.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's input, I will sort out a lesson and take it from there. Since I am not a member of a club does anyone have any recommendations in the South Yorkshire area. Anywhere within an hours drive is viable.