Pushing longer clubs right

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know this will be hard to evaluate without seeing my swing- it doesn't happen all the time just sometimes and more so with longer clubs. Doesn't happen with 8 or above and rarely with a 7 but the lower I go in clubs the more often it happens IE 4 irons happens more than 5 which happens more than 6. Also happens with hybrid and 3 wood.

I have asked someone to check my alignment on the course but they've said it's fine so don't think thats the problem- pretty confident in my alignment to be honest. Same with ball position.

I don't know if its related but I feel that I have too steep an angle of attack at times- IE I feel that I'm hitting down so much that I take a large divot after the ball but causes a slow down in follow through so follow through isn't smooth. Often divot is about a foot long. The strike is usually a very good strike but just pushes right- most of the time I've just missed green by say 10-20 yards to the right but occasionally it puts me in trouble.

Any good youtube videos out there to shallow out AoA? Do you think this will be my problem for pushes right? I'm booked in for lesson next week but would like something to mull over in meantime

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A push would mean the club face and path are matched and right of target.

My, now natural, shot is a draw, which means my stock miss is now out to the right when I don't quite get the face a little closed to the path.

Personally speaking, I know that when I hit a push, the ball position is too far back.

Ball position is highly personal. Have you tried moving the ball forwards a touch of where you currently play it to see if it helps?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
1211_zpsepyp43ex.jpg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That would depend on the strength of your grip.

I know if I am playing a big hook I have the ball back and if I need to slice it I will put it well forward.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So went for lesson with pro yesterday and he changed grip slightly and moved me slightly more away from ball but other than that said setup good, swing good, ball position good. Was still struggling a bit as was struggling with club face. Was far too open to path.

just got told I really need to go away and work on keeping everything else but getting more control of the clubface