Push, push fade help

Morecambe hacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Down the range the other night and with all my irons and hybrid I was hitting shots straight down the line or with a nice 10 yard draw which is what I'm working on as it's proof my work on OTT swing path is now coming from the inside so I'm really happy with that but with my driver I'm hitting a push shot or push fade every single time. My alignment is the same as I'm using with all other clubs, down the line and ball is teed an inch inside left heel. Can anyone please help on why this is happening with only my driver! And any suggestions on a cure please.

Thanks in advance

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A bit tricky to tell without a video of your swing but ...
I wonder what your tempo is like with the driver compared to the 3 wood. Do you tend to hit the driver hard?
This often starts with the legs driving before the backswing has finished. This can result in the arms coming in late leaving the clubface a touch open. Couple that with the remnants of your OTT swing the ball will start right and then fade.
Or it could be down to a weak grip
Or it could be down to the clubhead lying open at address.
Do you take deep divots with your irons?

Morecambe hacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks bob. Divots are quite shallow with irons but I don't take a divot consistently. I do seem to lash at it with my driver. Is it worth slowing down my tempo? Last time I had a lesson the flightscope said with my driver my swing speed was around 125mph not sure how accurate they are? Also I use regular shafts, could my swing speed need a stiff? I'm so busy at work I can't have a lesson for at least 3 months also to busy to record my swing so though I'd ask on here. My 3wood is my nemesis club, can't hit it for toffee so can't really compare the 2. As far as I'm aware the face is square at address, is it worth slightly closing to see what difference the result is? My grip is a neutral grip with inter locking that seems fine with every other club.
Thanks for your reply bob

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I do seem to lash at it with my driver. Is it worth slowing down my tempo? 125mph? :eek:

Maybe not slow it down, I'd prefer you to think of making it a smoother and more balanced swing.
That way, you might find your arms and legs swing more as a unit and you'll hit it straighter

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not qualified to offer advice, but I can tell you that I had exactly this problem and I seem to be hitting my drives much straighter now that I align the head of the driver with the centre of my chest, rather than just behind the ball.

Morecambe hacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm not qualified to offer advice, but I can tell you that I had exactly this problem and I seem to be hitting my drives much straighter now that I align the head of the driver with the centre of my chest, rather than just behind the ball.

Thanks ping makes sense that as sometimes I feel my alignment isn't true as I feel with the ball being so far forward it might be twisting my shoulders slightly forward therefore not being square to Knees and feet. Will try this when get time