Push-Fade??

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A little help needed if you please?

If you're hitting push-fades, what are your swing path and club face doing? Can you hit them with different components?

What I mean is can you hit them with a in-to-out and an out-to-in swing?

I've been hitting these lately and I'd like to rain it in if possible, the reason being is I can't trust aiming left side and swinging (as stupid as that sounds). Im always fearful that its going to go straight left.

What I'm after is the understanding of the shot so I can get my head around it a little better then maybe I can trust the swing and the shape.

Thanks in advance

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've been hitting these lately and I'd like to rain it in if possible, the reason being is I can't trust aiming left side and swinging (as stupid as that sounds). Im always fearful that its going to go straight left.

Open the face so it's definitely open to where you are aligned, and almost aligned at your target.. just a fraction left.

Put the ball back a fraction in your stance from where you'd normally have it, this will reduce the time you have to close the clubface.... swing hard and watch it soar! ;)

If the ball ends up right of your target then you need the clubface just a little more left of it at address.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Open the face so it's definitely open to where you are aligned, and almost aligned at your target.. just a fraction left.

Put the ball back a fraction in your stance from where you'd normally have it, this will reduce the time you have to close the clubface.... swing hard and watch it soar! ;)

If the ball ends up right of your target then you need the clubface just a little more left of it at address.

What? That didn't make any sense to me at all??

Isn't it caused by an in to out swing with the face open in comparison to the path of the club?

Now assuming you don't set up with the face open that means ( I think) that either the grip is weak, or that there's something wrong in the downswing.

Do you have an upright swing?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Do you hit them left sometimes?

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What? That didn't make any sense to me at all??

Isn't it caused by an in to out swing with the face open in comparison to the path of the club?

Now assuming you don't set up with the face open that means ( I think) that either the grip is weak, or that there's something wrong in the downswing.

Do you have an upright swing?

Yeah that confused me a little too

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went to the practice ground earlier and hit about 25 balls. Had a look at my divots and they were mostly pointing right of the target. I did find that if I made a conscious effort to swing a little more left of target (actually was more in line with target) then my shots were alot straighter. What I mean by that is I tried turning more through the ball.
Hope that makes sense.

Not sure if thats correct or not

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Went to the practice ground earlier and hit about 25 balls. Had a look at my divots and they were mostly pointing right of the target. I did find that if I made a conscious effort to swing a little more left of target (actually was more in line with target) then my shots were alot straighter. What I mean by that is I tried turning more through the ball.
Hope that makes sense.

Not sure if thats correct or not

If the shots were straighter, who cares if it's correct. It worked didn't it?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I made a push-fade picture....

pfgif.jpg

You have to line up left (black line through the feet) with feet and shoulders
The arc (horizontal swing plane direction) is out-to-in compared to the target (long black line)
You still hit the ball from the INSIDE of the arc (small red line)
The ball is played BEHIND the low point of the arc (small black line)
The clubface (red line) is open to the path but slightly closed to the target.
The more open you can keep the face and the more left you are aligned the more the ball will fade or slice.

If you want to curve the ball less then start aligning more straight whilst keeping the clubface as is. This will reduce the angle difference between path/face so you will get less curve (spin).

Last edited:

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I made a push-fade picture....

View attachment 850

You have to line up left (black line through the feet) with feet and shoulders
The arc (horizontal swing plane direction) is out-to-in compared to the target (long black line)
You still hit the ball from the INSIDE of the arc (small red line)
The ball is played BEHIND the low point of the arc (small black line)
The clubface (red line) is open to the path but slightly closed to the target.
The more open you can keep the face and the more left you are aligned the more the ball will fade or slice.

If you want to curve the ball less then start aligning more straight whilst keeping the clubface as is. This will reduce the angle difference between path/face so you will get less curve (spin).

You're talking as if he should want to play a push fade deliberately, but I think the general idea is to try to stop playing the push fade, and keep the wee white thing straighter.

Unless I'm misreading something.

My first post was thinking about playing the sort of push fade you're talking about,
BUT
can't you get a push fade (or rather a high short slice) with an out to in swing with the face open to the target line?

Which sort of complicates matters imo.....

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
what makes it a push? high ball flight ?

Nope..

Starting off to the right of the 'target' line. The target line doesn't however have to be the line to the target.

If you have a definite in-2-out swing, compared to the target line, with the clubhead square to the swingpath, you will get a push. If the clubhead is slightly open or closed to that swingpath, you will get a push fade, or push draw respectively.

Or something like that.

PS if you have an out to in swing but with an open clubface, the ball will still start right and go further right, but that is technically called 'a right bloody cock up' or 'Fore right' or 'Shall we call that 3 off the tee'.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
bit over my head that. ill stick with a basic fade/ draw. i would have to see video examples to understand that. i dont know why, or how you would aim right of target or even target line and want a fade. confused.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As far as I see it Bubba lines up his body to the right rough.

His swing is in to out compared with that, so the ball starts down the right centre with just a tad of fade on it.

[video=youtube;9Spd8M96dZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Spd8M96dZM&feature=related[/video]

Generally not thought of as textbook.

And fine when you are young, but ask JO what happens when an old fart tries it...