Punishment for not electronically entering scores

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have a very relaxed match secretary indeed. Fact is, it is massively frustrating for those doing the cards to find some just couldn't be bothered to fill them in, probably the same type of people who throw rubbish out the window of their car saying it keeps people in job to clean it up.

Advantages of living in Devon, we are all pretty relaxed but to be honest it's so few it's not that big an issue and at times it's quicker for us to put them through than watch the tap tapping of some.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) WHS does not need comps to be closed. As long as your score is in it is processed overnight for handicap calculations.

2) Self adjustment will not be necessary nor is it practicable . Wherever you go to play (or on your phone) you will be able to check a) your Handicap Index b) your Course Handicap and if you are entering a comp c) your Playing Handicap eg adjusted for the 95% for singles strokeplay.

3) To self adjust you will need to know the details of your best 8 scores/differentials, the Playing Conditions Calculation adjustment for the day you played and have the facility to do the calculations involved.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you actually know that that's the case!!
Cant really see how you'll be able without lengthy calculations.

CONGU

20.11 If a player returns a Qualifying Score or Scores below his Playing Handicap at his Home Club or away and is unable to:
(a) report an away score(s) to his Home Club; or

(b) ascertain whether or not his Playing Handicap has been reduced as a result of the score(s)
he must, before playing in another competition at his Home Club or away, for that competition make such reduction to his Playing Handicap as shall be appropriate under the UHS by applying the Competition Scratch Score if known, otherwise the Standard Scratch Score, to calculate his Nett Differential and handicap reduction.
Should a player not know his Exact Handicap, such reduction should be made from his Playing Handicap less 0.5, (e.g. If Playing Handicap is 16 then reduction should be from 15.5).

We have the 'how to' published on our handicaps notice board and yes it does take a reasonable knowledge of simple arithmetic.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought that all you had to do as a competitor was sign your card confirming that you agree with the scores and check your handicap was correct?

Surely a club cannot "punish" or sanction a member for not putting their score into the computer. Not right for those who are not computer savvy, have eyesight problems or are simply in a hurry to get home.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought that all you had to do as a competitor was sign your card confirming that you agree with the scores and check your handicap was correct?

Surely a club cannot "punish" or sanction a member for not putting their score into the computer. Not right for those who are not computer savvy, have eyesight problems or are simply in a hurry to get home.

My thoughts as well.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Every member should do their share and enter the scores into the computer. Life is too short for one person to sit tapping in numbers all day when it could be avoided.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site

Then you thought wrong.

From the R&A Committee Procedures 5A - Setting the Terms of the Competition
(5)
Similarly, the Committee may request that players assist the Committee by entering their scores into a computer system at the end of the round, but a player should not be penalized under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with this request or makes a mistake in doing so. But the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction, for example in a Code of Conduct, for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.

Some people have genuine reasons for having difficulty entering scores, I understand that, but others can be just bloody minded or lazy - they have usually booked their round by computer and have no trouble using their smartphones.

IanMcC

Visit site
https://vied-app.firebaseapp.com/

It will become more of an issue next November, when the WHS kicks in. See the WHS 2 thread, or any instructional sites, where it states that a players handicap index will be adjusted overnight by the software. If Joe has not entered the score on the computer, and the (unpaid!) M&H Secretary has not spoonfed him by altering mistakes or adding missing cards, then Joe's handicap index will be wrong the next day.
Currently there is no sanction at my club, but I am beginning to feel that I need to impose some sort of penalty for repeat offenders next season, to get them used to entering the scores electronically before next November.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
CONGU

20.11 If a player returns a Qualifying Score or Scores below his Playing Handicap at his Home Club or away and is unable to:
(a) report an away score(s) to his Home Club; or

(b) ascertain whether or not his Playing Handicap has been reduced as a result of the score(s)
he must, before playing in another competition at his Home Club or away, for that competition make such reduction to his Playing Handicap as shall be appropriate under the UHS by applying the Competition Scratch Score if known, otherwise the Standard Scratch Score, to calculate his Nett Differential and handicap reduction.
Should a player not know his Exact Handicap, such reduction should be made from his Playing Handicap less 0.5, (e.g. If Playing Handicap is 16 then reduction should be from 15.5).

We have the 'how to' published on our handicaps notice board and yes it does take a reasonable knowledge of simple arithmetic.
I was talking WHS... not CONGU

D

Deleted member 25172

I don’t even know what this electronic entering of the score is. At our club we go to the pro shop before the comp and pay and after the round we hand it in to the pro shop who then enters the score into the system.