Puma/Cobra & DeChambeau

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Blimey LP, do the creatures curiosity or doubt ever venture across your mental Serengeti??

I don't use them, but I can see why they might be A Good Thing - certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Bryson certainly seems to know how to win, which, as we saw in Turkey, is a pretty priceless skill and not at all common.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey LP, do the creatures curiosity or doubt ever venture across your mental Serengeti??

I don't use them, but I can see why they might be A Good Thing - certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Bryson certainly seems to know how to win, which, as we saw in Turkey, is a pretty priceless skill and not at all common.

I have tired them and they felt horrific

DeChambeu has grown up with them , he has tailored his swing and grip to them and it is unique - there is no other swing like it.

Golfers search high and low for the holy grail yet only one pro uses one length from what I can see - Cobra have had these irons out for a couple years now and no other OEM will have them for a reason - because they suit one pro and his swing - it’s clearly not mass market or someone else would have gone for them. I don’t know anyone who uses them and on here o think one or two have tried them. They are a niche item for specific swing as opposed to your normal set of golfs which can be easily tailored for 99.9% of golfers

Sometimes the good old fashioned way is still the popular way because it’s the way that works the best

D

Deleted member 18588

I'd actually love to have a fitting for them as I believe in the merit of the repeatable swing/setup.

Good luck with that!

When I wanted to try them l met resistance from the trade, both independents and chains, and yet as far as I could ascertain those who were dismissive of the concept had not tried the clubs themselves.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have tired them and they felt horrific

DeChambeu has grown up with them , he has tailored his swing and grip to them and it is unique - there is no other swing like it.

Golfers search high and low for the holy grail yet only one pro uses one length from what I can see - Cobra have had these irons out for a couple years now and no other OEM will have them for a reason - because they suit one pro and his swing - it’s clearly not mass market or someone else would have gone for them. I don’t know anyone who uses them and on here o think one or two have tried them. They are a niche item for specific swing as opposed to your normal set of golfs which can be easily tailored for 99.9% of golfers

Sometimes the good old fashioned way is still the popular way because it’s the way that works the best

Radbourne got fitted for Cobra down at Silvermere in a comp on here.

Not 100% but think they may have given him one length irons.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a go with the ONE length irons in Golf Galaxy. They were just off the shelf clubs, so hard to say how good they are as I do agree that this is something that you need a proper fitting for by COBRA. Had a go with the 4, 7 & PW and the 4i felt good, but the wedge felt horrible with it being what felt to me was too long. Got to say I found the 4i really easy to hit, having a slightly shorter shaft than usual. Could I get use to playing with these over time, possibly, do I want to risk spending the money on something that might not work for me though. I think that is always going to the problem with something like the ONE length irons, is it worth the risk that you might not like them.

Wolf

Visit site
Look forward to hearing how you get on with them
Well it was an interesting session trying things out. Bit of back history I still use Cobra S2 Forged irons, great feel and look but roughly 7 years old now.

They put me on launch monitors. I Warmed up with my clubs including long irons which I can hit but am inconsistent with. Then tried the new F8 standard clubs to compare and as expected instantly hitting them longer as due to how they're designed but still inconsistent with the 4 & 5irons..

Cue moving to the One length irons, I tried both the F7 & F8 model & my own for comparison reasons, hit 7 irons with them all, I was consistently longer with both F7 & F8 as I expected. So moved up to 5 irons shaft length didn't feel odd at all, actually it was encouraging me to hit it, again I was hitting both the one length irons longer than my own but was leaving them out to the right, cue a slight tweak in lie & shaft then resumed shots, I was hitting both longer still but so much straighter and more consistent than my standard length 5 iron, the dispersion rate was so much tighter, and I know some people complain about how they hit them lower but for me this was a blessing as I hit a bloody high ball anyway even with long irons, the height came down by about 1.5 yards but my carry distance was 11yards more with a better roll out to.

So far One length was winning, cue moving to short irons, so I'll admit this felt a little odd as it so much longer than my own wedges, but again no dramas once I hit a few and we got shaft right, I was hitting them according to launch monitor 1yard higher at peak of the arc as I previously mention I hit a high ball anyway so could this be a sticking point as it was now going higher still! No because again my carry distance was basically a club further and they were stopping stone dead on landing, the longer shaft didn't affect the dispersion either they were nice and tight, even tried some knock down shots which got me a lower flight and was not affecting strike or distance so again superb results.

After that I tried out the One length hybrid, now that did feel weird but I got good results though my brain isn't quite ready to commit to effectively a wood that short so I may have to keep thinking about that. Though I think from the results it could easily be persuaded.

All in all a brilliant session, I literally couldn't pick the F7 or F8 apart for performance despite the tweaks they've made to them for the latter club, I literally had the same numbers with both, I do love the idea of the Cobra Connect but for an extra £300 was it worth it.. Answer no not for me price of F7 is better I like the look and performance was equal to F8.. So I've ordered my F7 One length irons and collect them tomorrow..

Oh and I did a deal that got me Arccos 360 with the guy that fitted me as he is an old family friend as he now has F8 irons he didn't need his Arccos he's had for 6 months, so I'm having that off him for £50. As a result I've got new irons and the same tech for less than half the price of the F8...

Wolf

Visit site
Be interesting to know how your scores go, I know it's winter so going to be hard to tell, but still be interesting if you see a dramatic improvement.
I'm looking forward to finding out, won't really be using them much except for On range until next month after we move and I join new place but gives me plenty of practice time to bed in with them before I take to the course

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Instead of either end of the spectrum from all different lengths to all one length, could it be we’re more likely to see a compromise point within a set re the iron lengths being sold for the mass market, for example;

4,5,6 – same length
7,8,9 – same length
Wedges – same length

So trying to harness the advantage of ‘one repeatable swing’ by minimizing it to three repeatable swings from its current (which I guess is about 8 repeatable swings to master within a set of irons)

So whatever difficulties need to be overcome in using and being fit for single length are diluted so that 'three length' iron sets could be bought off the shelf

albatross2

Visit site
Quick background: I am a .4 index and have played Titleist AP2 714 irons with Vokey wedges for the past many years. I am totally intrigued by the one length concept, and did a ton of research to find out how/why they might be good for me.

I put the Cobra Forged One irons in my bag about 6 rounds ago (winter here now). 5i - GW. Generally, the short irons are a breeze to hit. While it was somewhat odd to stand farther away from the ball on those shorter shots, the stance and swing plane felt totally natural. For me, I like the single length concept through PW. For GW through lob I won't stay at 37.5" - though I likely won't go all the way down to traditional length.

I need more data, but my sense is that the 7-iron at 1 degree stronger is about 3-4 yards longer than mine. Then, the short irons were gapped to that. So, the Forged One gap wedge probably carried 125 vs. the 120 in my current set. On the other end of the spectrum, I think the 5-iron probably carries 193 vs. the 197 in my AP2’s. But with a lower ball flight I think overall distance would be similar in medium firm conditions.

Most notably, I found using one set-up and one swing completely natural and more consistent. My dispersion absolutely narrowed. That was totally true and completely apparent on the longer irons. With my set, I had the occasional quick pull. But just as I so rarely do that with a 7-iron in my set, I didn’t do it with the 5-iron in the Forged Ones. The short irons will just take some getting used on overall distance. Also notably - I found ALL the clubs in the Forged Ones easier to work both ways.

After those good results, I decided to get fit by a master fitter for the Edel SLS-01 irons. It was a terrific process I can elaborate on later. The bottom line for me was that I have absolutely no doubt that the single length concept is sound. I don't swing like Bryson, nor would I like to. He is a golf machine guy - unbelievably upright and one plane. I am an athletic swing proponent. One length does NOT mean you swing like Bryson. It means you swing like you. It's just that you swing like you swing your 7-iron. For me, that is incredibly confident and comfortable.

At the same time, I am also 100% confident that getting fit to the single length clubs is the secret sauce. The Edel clubs (fit to me) blew away the Cobras. My gaps were 10-12 yards through my bag. The shafts were tuned to the gaps - one launch/kick profile for 5,6,7 and another for 8,9,P. The clubheads were weighted to my swing. I won't be playing the one length wedges. But I am considering going to a 36.5" shaft on the wedges.

I'm pleased to provide more detail on the Edel process, but my bottom line is that I am very likely to go to Edel SLS-01 for my 5i - PW, with variable length hybrids and woods and fixed but shorter length wedges.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Instead of either end of the spectrum from all different lengths to all one length, could it be we’re more likely to see a compromise point within a set re the iron lengths being sold for the mass market, for example;

4,5,6 – same length
7,8,9 – same length
Wedges – same length

So trying to harness the advantage of ‘one repeatable swing’ by minimizing it to three repeatable swings from its current (which I guess is about 8 repeatable swings to master within a set of irons)

So whatever difficulties need to be overcome in using and being fit for single length are diluted so that 'three length' iron sets could be bought off the shelf
Whenever I see one length reviewed, the golfer loved the shorter length longer irons and if there was a down side at all, it was the longer length shorter irons that were hard to get used to. Because of this I think your idea had a lot of potential. Take the advantage of shorter length 4,5,6 that testers seem to like, 7,8 and even 9 would be hardly any difference to what we are used to and wedges at one length would work too. Patent it now!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Whenever I see one length reviewed, the golfer loved the shorter length longer irons and if there was a down side at all, it was the longer length shorter irons that were hard to get used to. Because of this I think your idea had a lot of potential. Take the advantage of shorter length 4,5,6 that testers seem to like, 7,8 and even 9 would be hardly any difference to what we are used to and wedges at one length would work too. Patent it now!

I'm on it... ;)

1426246524_23.jpg

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Bit of a tangent & likely never happen (but I’ll stick my a patent in anyway) what about this for a set:

1. Adj loft driver (pretty much what we have)
2. Adj loft 4 wood from 15° to 19°
3. Adj loft hybrid from 19° to 25° (optional)
4. Adj loft ‘A’ iron from 4-6 iron loft range
5. Adj loft ‘B’ iron from 7- 9 iron loft range
6. Adj loft wedge 1 for PW & Gap loft
7. Adj loft wedge 2 for SW to Lob
8. Putter

A quick rule change to allow loft adjustment during a round & hey presto a max 8 club set with just 2 irons, 2 wedges (hybrid optional) just 3 repeatable iron swings, much easier to carry without losing the versatility of 14 clubs, easier to use, cheaper to manufacture, cheaper to buy, all the technology exists already, what’s the downside?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Bit of a tangent & likely never happen (but I’ll stick my a patent in anyway) what about this for a set:

1. Adj loft driver (pretty much what we have)
2. Adj loft 4 wood from 15° to 19°
3. Adj loft hybrid from 19° to 25° (optional)
4. Adj loft ‘A’ iron from 4-6 iron loft range
5. Adj loft ‘B’ iron from 7- 9 iron loft range
6. Adj loft wedge 1 for PW & Gap loft
7. Adj loft wedge 2 for SW to Lob
8. Putter

A quick rule change to allow loft adjustment during a round & hey presto a max 8 club set with just 2 irons, 2 wedges (hybrid optional) just 3 repeatable iron swings, much easier to carry without losing the versatility of 14 clubs, easier to use, cheaper to manufacture, cheaper to buy, all the technology exists already, what’s the downside?

And 5 hours rounds to boot! Could you imagine being stuck behind people adjusting every club for every shot!