Puma/Cobra & DeChambeau

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Should Bryson now be Cobra Golf's poster boy? Clearly winning more and potentially a lot more marketable than a stale "orange" Ricky?

He's quirky, he's extremely intelligent, he's also a multiple winner this season and the press sit up and take notice of him. From trying his sidestep funky putting to now stating he's going to hole out with the pin in, Bryson is in the news.

He puts golf in the spotlight and puts Puma/Cobra in the news.

vaughan316

Visit site
kind of agree with you!!think cobra are pushing bryson more into the spotlight..younger fans will always love ricky though, think bryson has a little bit of a grate on people aswell though which wont make him as popular

Wolf

Visit site
Completely agree, I really like both guys, Ricky is really relatable to and a nice guy..

Bryson is quirky, very unique in his approach but already has more tour wins in his so far short career than Fowler has in 10years.

Added in the fact he plays the One Length clubs, he is pretty much the reason Cobra launched them, which makes them more marketable for the brand, they should have him as their No1 staff player with Ricky now 2nd to that.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should Bryson now be Cobra Golf's poster boy? Clearly winning more and potentially a lot more marketable than a stale "orange" Ricky?

He's quirky, he's extremely intelligent, he's also a multiple winner this season and the press sit up and take notice of him. From trying his sidestep funky putting to now stating he's going to hole out with the pin in, Bryson is in the news.

He puts golf in the spotlight and puts Puma/Cobra in the news.

I blame him for them not renewing my contract for next year :mad:;):ROFLMAO:

Edited to add that on one of the Euro-pro pro-am's i was lucky enough to play, I played with the UK & Ire Marketing Manager for Cobra Puma and he said Bryson was a fantastic guy and brilliant to work with.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I am much more interested in watching Bryson than Fowler.

Since the masters, I can hardly think of Fowler being in contention anywhere. Definitely feels like a season he has gone backwards and been overtaken by a lot of other guys in the discussion about who is in contention for the big events.

Up until this season it was a question of when Fowler wins a major, now you feel he's got to beat too many guys and is very much in the pack. Is he really going to beat Rose, Koepka, DJ, Molinari, Tiger, Thomas, Rory, Fleetwood, Bryson, Spieth, Reed, Finau, Schauffle etc. all in the same week?

As for Bryson, I think he takes a huge amount of criticism simply because he is a bit different. His short game obviously has room for improvement, but in fact that is scary when you think about how prolific he has been. In a decade or so, I reckon his golf philosophy will be a common mindset around the world and he may well have one of the biggest legacies in golf teaching since Ben Hogan.

D

Deleted member 15344

Bryson is marmite - some love his ways and some just don’t want to watch him , he is no doubt a nice guy but he takes forever when hitting a shot and has had his breakdowns , he also only plays with the one length clubs and they don’t sell well

Marketing wise - Fowler is prob streets ahead of him - the golden blue eyed all America.

Can’t see Cobra making him number 1

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Bryson is marmite - some love his ways and some just don’t want to watch him , he is no doubt a nice guy but he takes forever when hitting a shot and has had his breakdowns , he also only plays with the one length clubs and they don’t sell well

Marketing wise - Fowler is prob streets ahead of him - the golden blue eyed all America.

Winning is everything in golf, what barnds are you seeing plastered in the golf news this weekend. Adidas/TM with Rose. And now obviously Bryson has added Puma/Cobra into the mix.

One length clubs are quirky, marmite if you like but his "mad" scientific method has proven to be very very successful. I can easily see him contending and winning majors in the next season or two.

I have to admit to being a huge fan of his now.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

If you can tell me that you don't watch Bryson winning and think (at least a tiny bit)... 'I wonder if those clubs will work for me?' then you have a huge level of belief in the 'traditional' set up.
3 wins in the last 10 weeks is a big deal and will sell a *** tonne of golf clubs.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you can tell me that you don't watch Bryson winning and think (at least a tiny bit)... 'I wonder if those clubs will work for me?' then you have a huge level of belief in the 'traditional' set up.
3 wins in the last 10 weeks is a big deal and will sell a *** tonne of golf clubs.

This is true. He's also now 5th in the OGWR ahead of big names such as McIlroy , Day, Speith, Rahm, Molinari, Fowler Reed etc etc. People will be taking notice !!!

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t wander if they will work for me and I suspect only a small minority have even tried it -they have been around a while and not exactly flying of the selves. They are very unique and specific to this one person and he gets it working. It’s not something that can be mass marketed. He is doing well but that still doesn’t stop him being a marmite character

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's probably a bit Marmite to be a lead marketing face. Some people think he's great, some people really don't like him at all.

(Edit, just spotted LP already said this. So yeah, what he said.)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t wander if they will work for me and I suspect only a small minority have even tried it -they have been around a while and not exactly flying of the selves. They are very unique and specific to this one person and he gets it working. It’s not something that can be mass marketed. He is doing well but that still doesn’t stop him being a marmite character

I disagree. It's not been popular because no one has been doing it at the business end of the game. Now that one of the top players in the world is using them, it is only going to go one way.

Interested to hear Claude Harman, who is an top golf coach and I think a great analyst for Sky, say that he uses them for his own game.

It makes a huge amount of sense and of course golf companies will be mass marketing these clubs to the general public. Gold companies are basically marketing companies, who do a bit of R&D into golf equipment.

I would expect these to become a lot more prevalent in the next year or two and expect other manufacturers to have their own versions of these clubs soon.

D

Deleted member 15344

I disagree. It's not been popular because no one has been doing it at the business end of the game. Now that one of the top players in the world is using them, it is only going to go one way.

Interested to hear Claude Harman, who is an top golf coach and I think a great analyst for Sky, say that he uses them for his own game.

It makes a huge amount of sense and of course golf companies will be mass marketing these clubs to the general public. Gold companies are basically marketing companies, who do a bit of R&D into golf equipment.

I would expect these to become a lot more prevalent in the next year or two and expect other manufacturers to have their own versions of these clubs soon.

You can disagree if you wish but these clubs have been on the market for a couple years now , Cobra have already done the marketing campaign for it , people tried it and you will struggle to find people using them - they are unique to one person’s golf swing - they are not for mass market hence why other manufacturers haven’t gone near them.

I think your expectations are going to fall flat

The reality doesn’t match your opinion I’m afraid

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can disagree if you wish but these clubs have been on the market for a couple years now , Cobra have already done the marketing campaign for it , people tried it and you will struggle to find people using them - they are unique to one person’s golf swing - they are not for mass market hence why other manufacturers haven’t gone near them.

What will probably hold them back is that you really need to be fit for them, I should imagine, whereas a large amount of golf customers just want to buy standard clubs off the rack.

Visit site

I wouldn’t hold your breathe on the major companies bringing out SLCs. Only 3 do it Cobra, Edel and Wishon. I can’t see Edel carrying on with it, even tho they are the best looking out of the 3 they are expensive and also with Bryson going from Edel to Cobra they’ve lost a key element on why they did SLCs.
I do know that just cos the Pro stage aren’t using them, doesn’t mean they don’t work. I deal with Wishon and I’ve made a set for a 3hc player who has improved his consistency going to SLCs and said it’s simplified his game.
I think anyone new to golf should go SLCs then the normal set up.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Saw them being fitted last year for the other winner of the Cobra/Puma Lower Your Scores campaign. He still plays with them & have managed to come down from 17 to 13 with them. Horses for courses, I think. I was just glad at the time they choose me for the conventional clubs.

Bryson is the man for me though. The real deal, regardless of what you think of him as a personality. He just doesn't let anything or anyone fase him (other than Richard McEvoy, of course). Next Major winner & first with One Length Clubs whilst holing out with the flag in. I can't wait to see it.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Lets wait and see, but the reality is that Bryson has become a household name in the past few months and his success will lead to a unprecedented interest in single length set up.

Of course the golf market is so big, that you only need 0.5% of it worldwide to do ok, depending on your business model. I reckon in the next 5 to 10 years this will be a much more significant part of the market - possibly 10% to 20% of all new irons sold, and by then we will probably start to see more Tour Pros using it who are only just now taking up the game and learning it as youngsters.

Anyway, lets agree to disagree.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Saw them being fitted last year for the other winner of the Cobra/Puma Lower Your Scores campaign. He still plays with them & have managed to come down from 17 to 13 with them. Horses for courses, I think. I was just glad at the time they choose me for the conventional clubs.

Bryson is the man for me though. The real deal, regardless of what you think of him as a personality. He just doesn't let anything or anyone fase him (other than Richard McEvoy, of course). Next Major winner & first with One Length Clubs whilst holing out with the flag in. I can't wait to see it.

I'd actually love to have a fitting for them as I believe in the merit of the repeatable swing/setup.