Pull Hook

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Over the last few months I've gained a horrible low pull hook and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to the range again, so I've just video'd myself in the garden to see if I could spot anything.

My hands are quite a bit higher at impact than they are at address, almost in a line between my head and the ball. I don't know if that's wrong or not?

Also, while it doesn't look like I have an out-to-in swing, my follow through looks like it comes around my body too much rather than following through towards my target more.

Anyone have an idea to the cause of that, or a cure/drill I can try?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
This happens to me if I stand too far away from the ball as I lose height from my posture and flatten my swing. At least that is what the pro tells me

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your correct in the problem with your hands. They shouldn't be that high. Try to drop the hands low on the downswing and turn through the ball more without loosing height. By lowering the hands to the 'inside' allows the clubhead to travel back towards the ball at a better plane.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A good drill would be to push a spare shaft into the ground at a 45* angle so the shaft points at your waist. Now practise swinging at a pretend ball under the shaft and keeping your hands low so the club passes under the shaft on your followthrough.

If you need to lower the shaft angle then do so as the lower the hands at point of impact the better so it's a good drill to do which doesn't take too much time in the garden.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does the centripetal force not try to force the club on a straight line with my arms though? I've not got the strongest hands/wrists/arms etc to resist that force.

I'll certainly try it though and see how it feels.

The weird thing is my irons are the best they've ever been. Just the woods can go bad, maybe 1 in 3 or 4. Hook with the driver and draw (that I don't want) with the fairway, but only off a tee. I even tried driver off the deck on Saturday and it went arrow straight! :D

Thanks for the replies :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was just there recently, pro said put the ball on my front foot and with a 6 iron try to hit it solid.

Chances are at impact your hips are well outside your foot and you in a kind of reverse C shape. That always results in a pull/hook.

Go see your pro and he will help you iron it out, it probably isn't curable in a drill, it needs a lesson and some adjustments in your swing.