Protective fence/netting

badgergm

Visit site
We have an issue with adjoining gardens. As one of the measures being taken then we are installing a new hard standing tee pointed away from the gardens. Netting/fencing is to be installed beside the tee to prevent/minimise no of balls entering gardens. As I understand it the netting will be quite tight to the tee.

Have other clubs taken such measures? There is a suggestion that in the event of a shot hitting the netting it must be replayed (similar to power line scenario). Is that common? Permissable?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The shot that hits the netting would presumably have gone out of bounds had the fence not been there. Why would you want to give a player who had played such a shot a mulligan? Let him play it as it lies and be thankful it has been kept in bounds.

The power line local rule takes into account a line that crosses the fairway and occupies airspace that a good shot might pass through. A deflection is almost inevitably going to be disadvantageous.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The shot that hits the netting would presumably have gone out of bounds had the fence not been there. Why would you want to give a player who had played such a shot a mulligan? Let him play it as it lies and be thankful it has been kept in bounds.

The power line local rule takes into account a line that crosses the fairway and occupies airspace that a good shot might pass through. A deflection is almost inevitably going to be disadvantageous.
Agree that the power line Model Local Rule is not applicable in this situation.
As an aside, the power line MLR does not say that the power lines need to cross the fairway. For example, we have power lines that run parallel to one hole and that MLR is applicable to that situation (there is rough and then another fairway on the other side of the power lines). Many moons ago, the recommended local Rule used to refer to a "well-played stroke" but that was removed (2006 or so?).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a hole at Wexham Park that's like that - I forget which number because they've changed their hole order around several times. But it's the long-ish par 3 to the wide upsloping green. There's a fence right in front of the tee on the right, and a sign on it saying if you hit this fence you must retake your shot. Really bails you out if you shank it doesn't it?

D-S

Visit site
There is a hole like this at Clevedon GC - a sign says you can (not sure if it might say must) replay without penalty if you hit the net. It is right in front of you and you have to just miss it if you want to hit the fairway, if you have a slice forget it.

badgergm

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much as I suspected - people quoted a couple of other courses nearby that have this replay local rule. Seems it is quite common - but not really the correct thing to do. Not sure what to do - think I'll wait until can see exactly how tight it is.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wakefield GC in Yorkshire have a similar fence running alongside the 1st. If the ball hits the fence they simply play it as it lies (or take free relief if there is IO interference). My current contact doesn't know the history but believes that was the original advice from the R&A. When we run occasional County events there, that's the way we handle it.

Last edited: