Probably an easy one for the rule bods

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On our scorecards, as I imagine on most, there is a box for "Handicap" and a box for "Strokes Received" so I write 7.4 in the "Handicap" one and 7 in the "Strokes Received" one. I know a lot of people write their playing handicap in both but the other day one of my FCs wrote his exact h'cap (26.4) in the "Handicap" box and 8 in the "Strokes Received" box. When I questioned him he said it was because that was how many holes he got 2 shots on (odd?)

He corrected it when I pointed it out but it did get me thinking, if I hadn't noticed it and he had put his card in would he have been scored off of 8 as it says in "Strokes Received" or was it enough that he put his proper exact handicap in the "Handicap" box?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I understand you only need to put your playing handicap on the card, so I would imagine that would be the one used. The rest of the calculations would be down to the commitee in the same vein as adding up your card, stableford points etc.

I'm sure one of the others will come along and put me in my place. :eek:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, but if you use both boxes in strokeplay, which one counts?

The handicap one. There is no requirement under the rules to record strokes recieved on your card. If fact the boxes are actually irrelevant. You just need to record handicap somewhere on the card.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
[h=2]6-2/1[/h][h=4]Meaning of "Handicap"[/h]Q.Under a handicapping system where the player has to adjust his handicap in accordance with the rating for the course he is playing, a player's handicap before adjustment is 4.8. After applying the appropriate adjustment for the course and the tees to be used for that competition, the player's handicap is 6. Which is his "handicap" for the purposes of Rule 6-2?
A.6. In a stroke-play competition the player must ensure that the handicap for the course that he is to play and the tees to be used is recorded on his score card when it is returned to the Committee.

[h=2]6-2b/0.5[/h][h=4]Meaning of "Handicap" When Full Handicap Not Used[/h]Q.It is the condition of a stroke-play competition (e.g., four-ball) that players will not receive their full handicap allowances. Under Rule 6-2b, what is the player responsible for recording on his score card?
A.He must record his full handicap. It is the Committee's responsibility to apply the condition of competition to adjust his handicap.

So the correct figures are 7 & 26 anywhere on the card.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
[h=2]6-2/1[/h][h=4]Meaning of "Handicap"[/h]Q.Under a handicapping system where the player has to adjust his handicap in accordance with the rating for the course he is playing, a player's handicap before adjustment is 4.8. After applying the appropriate adjustment for the course and the tees to be used for that competition, the player's handicap is 6. Which is his "handicap" for the purposes of Rule 6-2?
A.6. In a stroke-play competition the player must ensure that the handicap for the course that he is to play and the tees to be used is recorded on his score card when it is returned to the Committee.

[h=2]6-2b/0.5[/h][h=4]Meaning of "Handicap" When Full Handicap Not Used[/h]Q.It is the condition of a stroke-play competition (e.g., four-ball) that players will not receive their full handicap allowances. Under Rule 6-2b, what is the player responsible for recording on his score card?
A.He must record his full handicap. It is the Committee's responsibility to apply the condition of competition to adjust his handicap.

6-2/1 confused the bejebus out of me for a moment there. That doesn't apply under CONGU though does it.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Rule Fan , I thought a player could only self adjust his h/c down, not up ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule Fan , I thought a player could only self adjust his h/c down, not up ?

Rounding up or down an exact decimal handicap to get a whole number playing handicap is not adjusting. That is how playing handicaps are calculated.

Edit: Are you referring to the USGA system or CONGU?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rounding up or down an exact decimal handicap to get a whole number playing handicap is not adjusting. That is how playing handicaps are calculated.

Edit: Are you referring to the USGA system or CONGU?

But... 6/2.1 is not referring the to rounding of a handicap from exact to playing - it's referring to the adjustment of handicap due to course rating which is a different thing entirely.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
But... 6/2.1 is not referring the to rounding of a handicap from exact to playing - it's referring to the adjustment of handicap due to course rating which is a different thing entirely.

Yup that is what confused me but then realised it is all down to the USGA system (or any similar system) where a player seems to adjust HC to course rating rather than CONGU which seems to just let SSS/CSS adjust for difficulty of the course while HC remains static.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup that is what confused me but then realised it is all down to the USGA system (or any similar system) where a player seems to adjust HC to course rating rather than CONGU which seems to just let SSS/CSS adjust for difficulty of the course while HC remains static.

Quite.

But I guess it's indicative that you always put your playing handicap applicable to the course on to your card. Under CONGU your playing handicap is your playing handicaps regardless of where you are. Under other systems, your playing handicap is adjusted to be your playing handicap for the course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Under CONGU the determination of your handicap (ie Playing handicap) is made by adjusting your Exact handicap (decimals) by decimal amounts according to your playing record. The Exact handicap is always expressed as a decimal figure. The Playing handicap is produced by rounding (conventionally) the Exact handicap to whole a number. It does not vary from course to course or tees to tees.
The Rules don't mention the CONGU process because a decimal figure makes no sense on a card and that the word Playing defines its purpose.

The USGA and EGA systems, using Slope, are multistep processes and seemingly need an explanation.

An “EGA Exact Handicap” is the EGA’s designation of the relative golfing ability of a player, as
a number taken to one decimal place, on a course of standard relative playing difficulty (Slope Rating
of 113). An “exact handicap” is issued under the jurisdiction of a national association to a maximum
value of 36.0 and maintained and adjusted in accordance with the provisions of the EGA Handicap
System.
note: the exact handicap is used as an index for the playing handicap table for conversion to a playing handicap.