Pro-SL in winter?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone who wears the Pro-SL by footjoy wear them through winter? My winnings are burning a hole in my pocket and I need a pair of shoes, however I wanted something a bit more dual purpose if that makes sense?

I have a pair of nike lunar control vapor with the snowmobile design treads and I've found these to be absolutely brilliant all year round, unfortunately the cushioning after 3 years is wearing thin and they're beginning to get uncomfortable mid round.

I already have a pair of Adidas tour 360 cleated and spikeless.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I bought the pro sl this year for my summer shoe. My course is very hilly so always concerned about the grip on the hills in the wet. Ive played this summer in some torrential rain and they have held up great. No slips, no loss of traction, nothing.

Only concern I would say is the waterproofing. Says they are waterproof but I played in 18 holes of rain and feet were wet coming in. Don't get that with the dry joys.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
as a foot-note (ooops) I am a long time FJ wearer... I bought the new SL after lock-down and initially they felt really weird! Tight, but not actually pinching or rubbing. Old SLs were like slippers straight out of the box.

Now I've worn them on the course, they are great. I think they've redesigned to improve support and stability. So, they just feel different. Played in the rain last week, they gripped fine and I had dry feet!

sunshine

Visit site
Loads of people at my club wear pro SL in the winter with no problems. I wore my Tour 360 spikeless through last winter with no issues. I've realised that a lot of spikeless shoes grip just as well as cleated shoes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If course is reasonably flat yes.
But any slopes off tees / greens you need to be careful .
Mate of mine broke his collar bone slipped off a bank on a tee, lazy not walking to the steps.

sunshine

Visit site
If course is reasonably flat yes.
But any slopes off tees / greens you need to be careful .
Mate of mine broke his collar bone slipped off a bank on a tee, lazy not walking to the steps.

To be fair, was this anything to do with his shoes? Sounds like this would have happened whatever the footwear?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, was this anything to do with his shoes? Sounds like this would have happened whatever the footwear?
Questionable we all do it but I wear spikes in winter .
We have some very big slopes and I have slipped in spikeless.
In summer the grass is just wet but in winter the soil is wet as well and you can end up on your backside.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
as a foot-note (ooops) I am a long time FJ wearer... I bought the new SL after lock-down and initially they felt really weird! Tight, but not actually pinching or rubbing. Old SLs were like slippers straight out of the box.

Now I've worn them on the course, they are great. I think they've redesigned to improve support and stability. So, they just feel different. Played in the rain last week, they gripped fine and I had dry feet!
Cool, thanks. I was hoping someone may comment about the new ones as those are what I had me eye on ??

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
got my direct from footjoy not a reply to will they work in the winter more sizing. I used the in store FJ fitting plate and came up with size and narrow fit. first two round I thought what have they given me as could hardly walk in them. a few rounds in they feel like butter for the feet. impressed with them :)

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
In my experience it will depend on how 'active' your feet are when swinging

I use the ground quite a lot, especially with driver - rightly or wrongly. Pro SL and similar are a nightmare for me when the ground is even slightly wet - I'm guaranteed a few slips a round.