Pro-Ams — ‘normal’ ones not the Wentworth one

evemccc

Visit site
Can someone explain the basis of what these are, are what’s the appeal of them to both amateurs and pros?

I’m guessing the pro can play some (rare, if he/she is a teaching pro) competitive golf and make some money

For the amateur it’s a chance to play with a pro and maybe win some money or prizes

Is this correct?

But it seems from many of those I are listed they’re really expensive

Has anyone played one either as a pro or an amateur? And if so, what’s your experience been like?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
usually run as 2 comps at once, an individual pro comp where the pro can win decent money off his score and a team comp usually best 2 of 4 or similar where both ams and pro can win prizes (pro often wins money if his team wins), different ones have different entry requirements but a chunk of the amateur entry fee usually goes to the pros prize pot hence the cost

played in several over the years, always enjoyed them and good fun. have almost always entered with a pro I know which negates the risk of paying a high entry fee and getting a miserable pro (thankfully few and far between it seems). if there is a pro entry fee, you will often see the amateurs cover that between them

size of entry fee likely determines size of pros prize money and thus the level of pros entering

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play in them regularly back in the 80s/90s.

Sadly the Regional PGA started to want too much for a lot of clubs to be willing to stage them.

A good experience in the main plus a chance to win good prizes for your self as very often the were well sponsored.

One thing I learnt was that there were quite a few 'pros' that were no better than mid single figure players.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same as Jim above. I stopped playing in them when I was going round in less strokes than the “pro”. Best pro I played with was Andrew Sherborne. Went round in 5 under and made it look easy.

D

Deleted member 21258

Enjoyable days out, view them like a society day. As you say tend not to be cheaper.

Each one has had separate comps for Pro / Amateurs

Some days have 'proper' sponsorship (not just entry fees) and you tend to find the scoring by the pros are better and more teams often.

Trainee pros have to play in a minimum number of these events each year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played a large number of these. Usually assigned a pro who is playing an individual comp with his own card for prize money and as a team event where it is something like best two scores per hole to count. Played with some good pros, some that were too focused on their own ball so not great company and some that were truly awful. We have one when the Jamega tour comes into town and I'm going to be playing the celebrity pro-am at the British Par 3 at Nailcote Hall (hopefully) which will be interesting

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played in both types, the Wentworth one and local ones. The Wentworth one had a lot more bling and celebrity and crowds, but was great fun (I didn't pay for it, by the way). At that one, the pro is basically playing a practice round for the main event, so they are plotting with their caddy on lines, aiming point on the green and so on, so you try not to bug them too much.

The most recent local one had a long hitting pro from a nearby club and was also great fun. He was playing for a prize, but his long hitting was also a bit wild, so it soon became clear he was really playing for fun. There were no crowds, so more relaxed.

In both cases, I think the pressure is on the pro. They are expected to play well. You really aren't.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played in a couple that were a corporate/ charity day. Both contained local club pros and some from EuroPro. In the first the pro was tired and fed up after a long and unsuccessful season. That was not great to be honest, we largely left him alone as he tried to win a few quid. In the next he was a teaching pro who hadn't played much recently and sprayed it everywhere ?. He was much happier to chat, give the odd tip and the whole experience was much more enjoyable.

Great experience whatever.

evemccc

Visit site
I suppose my idea (- admittedly having not done one ) - was that you’re not paying for a ‘playing lesson’, so not going to be getting that much in tips or help, and the pro is likely to be concerned with his own ball…so unless he / she is a friend, I don’t get the appeal

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose my idea (- admittedly having not done one ) - was that you’re not paying for a ‘playing lesson’, so not going to be getting that much in tips or help, and the pro is likely to be concerned with his own ball…so unless he / she is a friend, I don’t get the appeal
From my own experience, one was happy to give tips during the round (after he confirmed we were happy for that to happen), the other didn't. In both cases though we got to see very good golfers up close. That in itself was a treat. Even though they weren't elite level, to watch their approach to the game and their technique, short game and putting, was well worth it. (Admittedly, on both occasions I was a guest so I didn't have to play for the pleasure. Not sure what I would pay, I'd have to see the course to make that decision)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Play in the Dornoch one every year, it's a bit of a laugh, we always play with the same pro and then get lashed after. I suppose that's an exception rather than the rule, he's a good player and had been on tour previously. I caddied in the Tomatin one the last couple of years and tbh one pro in last years was possibly the worst player in the group on that day, he was a teaching pro. I don't think he broke 80. These guys who were paying must have been quite disapointed. Mind the one day, the pro had prev won the Am before turning pro, can't remember his name, but it was a pleasure to watch him hit a ball. Hit it miles on a windy day and even his divots were a thing to behold.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tricky Trev is down for playing in one in Portugal next month. They have had a player drop out so are now desperate for another player. For some reason it don’t interest me.

Boomy

Visit site
Looking at playing 1 or 2 pro-ams with my coach this year. I’ll put a team of 3 together and he is the pro - works out about £70/75 each which includes bacon roll & coffee, pro-am competition and a meal after - not bad value at all I’d say and there are some good courses on the list. Two prize tiers, one for the pro’s and one for the teams. There’ll be no tips or teaching going on, for me it’s not about that at all, it’s a team game of golf, with a pro to watch on the way round (and maybe a sniff at some prizes)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a few with my old coach.

Just like a normal round of Golf. Ones I’ve played in were a stroke play round for the pro intertwined with a team based score overall.

Certainly enjoyed them, you can have a good chat with the bloke you’ve been giving £60 a month to!