Printing From an Ipad

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
One for the apple users out there as I have been using Android for years.

Just about to update my mum's tablet and she wants to be able to print from it as she has joined the parish council and needs minutes etc.

People are telling her that she needs a computer or laptop to print but she would really not use it for much else. She is familiar with apple as she has an iphone and I think that you can print direct to a wifi printer from an Ipad with little problem. Is that correct.

An Ipad would far better suit her needs and her old Tesco tablet is getting a bit past it now.

Any help appreciated.

kerber0s1983

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah pretty much spot on.

Officially from Apple there is an app called airprint i think, this adds a print option into most apps, mail safari etc and then you select print.

If you had a printer that had AirPrint support rather than wireless only, you will have no problems - a lot of printers have that feature now.

It can be done just using wireless, but i use Airprint with no issues

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your printer is Airprint enabled, then it's easy via iPad.

If not, then you'll probably have to see if there's an App from the printer manufacturer to allow you to Wifi print.

Mine was the latter BTW.

Last edited:

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I use Apple stuff,macbook ,ipad ,iphone etc, and i have just got a small HP printer from PC World , cost £40 and is a banger for that money , easy to set up on the wireless network just have to download the printing app for the ipad and away you go.Good quality prints as well .I will post you the model number later if that's a help .

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use Apple stuff,macbook ,ipad ,iphone etc, and i have just got a small HP printer from PC World , cost £40 and is a banger for that money , easy to set up on the wireless network just have to download the printing app for the ipad and away you go.Good quality prints as well .I will post you the model number later if that's a help .

Thanks, that sounds perfect. Does that mean it needs the App rather then airprint.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
its pretty simple from the ipad mate, i have done pics and docs, and also boarding cards etc.
our printer is wireless, and on the home wifi network, i just select the doc i want off the ipad and send it to the printer, so far it has worked fine.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Printer needs to be on the network at least. I don't know of any cabled options. I think drivers would be the first issue there.

I have an Epson printer on the wifi and the Epson app. Printing is a couple of clicks.

Just ensure the right printer is bought and connected up ok and the app is working.

Seems complicated but we are used to plug and play USB in our desktops and laptops. I find this all the time when using my iPad.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by oxymoron

The model we have is an HP deskjet 3720