Price points...

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Hello,

I'm just writing my list to Father Christmas for a new set of irons this year - I've whittled it down to a few options (see below), but the question I've got is around different price points.

Really, my other half doesn't want to spend any more than £300ish, but looking at the irons available there's a huge bunching around the £400 price point. I just wondered whether it's worth me investing the extra £100 to increase my options, or whether it's just another way of encouraging people to spend more than they actually want to!

The irons I'm interested in are (in order of preference):

Ping G10s
Callaway X20s
Calaway X22s
TaylorMade Tour Burners
Cleveland CG7s
Wilson Ci9s

The problem is that these are all bunched up in the £350 - £400 price point and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount below this that gets very good write-ups. Is it because this is really the 'entry level price point' or am I being suckered into clever pricing?

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,
have you thought about getting some second hand clubs. There are some good bargains to be had on ebay and even some on this Forum are advertised at times.
I appreciate ebay has been risky in times gone by, but looking through generally i believe there are some good buys on there.
Also, are you looking at getting a set with say 3 iron to PW? Maybe forget the 3 iron for now and go 4-PW and then buy a Hybrid later. This could bring the cost down a bit.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
as an option look elsewhere than the high-street brands, that way you don't pay for their advertising.

Orka (only custom fit), MD Golf, Snakeyes all make good gear

A

Alex1975

I would agree with what you have said about price point and if your looking for new clubs I would spend the extra £100. Your list looks good and imo if your going to spend £300, you should spend the £350 - 400.

Ofc there is always the 2nd hand option as others have said.

A

Alex1975

Ping G10s
Callaway X20s = £299.99 <-- no extra money needed
Calaway X22s = £329.99
TaylorMade Tour Burners = £349.99
Cleveland CG7s
Wilson Ci9s = £359.99

barrybridges

Head Pro
Out of interest, where did you see the X20s for that price? I could only find then at £329 via American Golf as they seem to be discontinued in most places.

I've tried the X22s but not the X20s - I know you should try before you buy, but is there likely to be any noticeable difference?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the TM stuff will have depreciated before you have even had it delivered. id only opt for this if your a die-hard tm fan.

My irons were used (3 rounds old) i paid £320 from ebay when AG was still selling at £449. within 2 months they were selling at £350.00

Also have a look at direct golf, they had some steaming deals on X22's

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're seriously thinking about the cg7s trying to find the predecessor, cg red is an option. I tried both when buying, no difference other than 100 odd notes in price and couldnt be happier with them. Reckon 250 would be too whack youd pay for them

A

Alex1975

Ignore me - I'm a luddite and I've found them.

Online golf, but you got it.

BTW I have played with the X20 and X22 and they felt the same to me. They pretty much look the same too.

barrybridges

Head Pro
Thanks for your comments.

In the end - believe it or not - I ended up with something totally different.

I went out and tried the Ping G10s, X22s and also some Yonex VMXs and ended up with the Yonexs. They'd never even appeared on my radar before but what I liked about them is that they had a lot of forgiveness but weren't as chunky as the G10s. I got a good feel in terms of feedback from them, whereas the Pings were pretty much juggernauts - you couldn't really miss with them and the weight of the club carried the ball through even on mis-hits.

Plus, I managed to get them for £279 which I thought was a bit of a bargain.

Incidentally, I'm so glad I had custom fitting and didn't just buy off the shelf - I found out that actually I need 3 degrees upright - the difference between them and standard clubs was so noticable on the range. I can't believe I've been playing with the 'wrong' clubs for so long!

A

Alex1975

Thanks for your comments.

In the end - believe it or not - I ended up with something totally different.

I went out and tried the Ping G10s, X22s and also some Yonex VMXs and ended up with the Yonexs. They'd never even appeared on my radar before but what I liked about them is that they had a lot of forgiveness but weren't as chunky as the G10s. I got a good feel in terms of feedback from them, whereas the Pings were pretty much juggernauts - you couldn't really miss with them and the weight of the club carried the ball through even on mis-hits.

Plus, I managed to get them for £279 which I thought was a bit of a bargain.

Incidentally, I'm so glad I had custom fitting and didn't just buy off the shelf - I found out that actually I need 3 degrees upright - the difference between them and standard clubs was so noticable on the range. I can't believe I've been playing with the 'wrong' clubs for so long!

Im so glad, my best mate went out for TM Burners and came back with the Yonex VMX, I thought he was mad till I tryed them. I think they are a great club and think they will last you a long time. I would be happy to have them in my bag.

Enjoy your new toys :D