Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve not really missed it until this point. I’m so buzzing right now!
You guys have a reason to buzz to be fair. I'll watch matches but at the moment I am feeling oddly underwhelmed by the thought. I'm sure that will change when things start up again.

Two bits of good news today. This and the golf in the UK starting in July. It might not be normal but it is the start of things happening again.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
And it returns, June 17th.

It will be interesting if we regain our enthusiasm in the current climate, no crowds etc.

Should be interesting. Cannot get into the German football as the combination of no atmosphere plus not caring about the result removes pretty much all of the reasons I watch sport. Maybe having no crowds but being more invested in the teams playing will make a difference.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
And it returns, June 17th.

It will be interesting if we regain our enthusiasm in the current climate, no crowds etc.

Don’t think I will have much interest watching football without the fans it will be soulless, maybe it could be a silver lining for football with a big drop in sky sports subscribers they might reconsider putting so much money into football which in turn would stop the crazy merry go round of obscene money for transfers and wages.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t think I will have much interest watching football without the fans it will be soulless, maybe it could be a silver lining for football with a big drop in sky sports subscribers they might reconsider putting so much money into football which in turn would stop the crazy merry go round of obscene money for transfers and wages.

No way. People are gonna go crazy for it. Betting companies are going to make a fortune. Sky subscriptions back through the roof.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know why people make such a big deal about it being without fans. It will sound a bit unusual without the crowd noise at first but you'll still be watching two Premier League teams trying to beat each other, just like before. And we'll still have VAR ruining every game, just like before.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should be interesting. Cannot get into the German football as the combination of no atmosphere plus not caring about the result removes pretty much all of the reasons I watch sport. Maybe having no crowds but being more invested in the teams playing will make a difference.
I thought I would be buzzing for the German football but it just had no meaning to me so I left it. It does show how for some, I'm one of them, I have to care to some extent about the teams in front of me. I feel invested in the PL because my team plays in it so even a Norwich v Burnley is a game I will watch. Outside of that league, I can not get excited. If we ever had a European Super League I would not watch it for the same reason. My club would not be in it, highly unlikely at the moment anyway, so it has no relevance to me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought I would be buzzing for the German football but it just had no meaning to me so I left it. It does show how for some, I'm one of them, I have to care to some extent about the teams in front of me. I feel invested in the PL because my team plays in it so even a Norwich v Burnley is a game I will watch. Outside of that league, I can not get excited. If we ever had a European Super League I would not watch it for the same reason. My club would not be in it, highly unlikely at the moment anyway, so it has no relevance to me.
I'm the same. I don't watch Champion's League games that don't involve Spurs. Other than the finals over the years. But yeah, I'm never bothered who progresses out of PSG or Bayern, or whoever. So I'm even less likely to watch a league game from abroad.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For those not watching the Bundesliga the really big differences seems to be home advantage counts for nothing in an empty stadium (may even be a negative based on small sample) and that lots more goals are being scored at set pieces (maybe due to a subconscious fear of defenders not being fully committed in these sorts of challenges?). Been a huge drop in play acting and feigning injury too which is a bonus though not convinced that one will translate to the premier league

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I foresee mass football parties around the Liverpool area ?
I genuinely don't think it will hurt others fans as badly now though. Part of the joy for winning fans is seeing the pain of your rivals, knowing it is eating them up. I think in the current circumstances that everyone else will be pretty apathetic, very, very different to how it was back in February.

I know liverpool fans will still love it, will still celebrate, but it has eased the agony for the rest of us ?.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I had a phone call from Man United this morning about my membership renewal and they told me then the information they had was about the league starting again in three weeks. Even then I thought, yeah, yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’m delighted for two reasons. First, I have missed live football like you would not believe. I’ve never watched a German league game until recently but I’ve been glued to BT Sport for a fortnight.

Second, despite my unbridled hatred of Liverpool, even I would have had some sympathy for their fans if their 30 year wait for a league title had ended by them being gifted it. At least now they can rightly claim to have won it over 38 games.

And you know what? They deserve it because (through gritted teeth) their football this season has been breathtaking.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't get that excited really. Football without live fans is like a Fab lolly without the 100s and 1000s.

I'll watch it. If we stay up great, if not, I feel right now that I'm not too bothered.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bit concerned two Fulham players have tested positive. Sod's law says one will be Mitrovic and so any change of reeling in WBA will go west and we'll find a way to struggle to stay in the pay-offs. On the subject of Liverpool fans celebrating their inevitable success I can't see how the authorities will be able to stop them congregating at Anfield or in the town centre. Part of me says let them enjoy it after 30 years and another concerned about infection risks of so many in such a small(ish) area

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit concerned two Fulham players have tested positive. Sod's law says one will be Mitrovic and so any change of reeling in WBA will go west and we'll find a way to struggle to stay in the pay-offs.
Or you know, Mitrovic could die of coronavirus. But mainly Fulham might miss out on the play-offs. :p

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems that the games are being shown Live on BBC as well , going to be split across all the channels.