Practicing on the course….

Visit site
I always thought that “practicing on the course” was not permitted in stroke play rounds but permitted in matchplay.

By practicing on the course, I mean in this specific example, holing out and then dropping your ball on the green to have another go at your missed putt.

Having a look through the rules - it seems, this is permitted? And the only circumstance it is not allowed is if you will be playing the course again that day?

Last week in club champs, a playing partner off +2 dropped his ball down to have another go at his putt, and a +1 player intervened and said he didn’t think it was allowed, I suggested it also isn’t permitted. No penalty called, no harm done… But we we wrong, right?

Has this always been the case? I feel like it’s one of those things I’ve never thought was permitted and as such, I have never done it….

Steven Rules

Visit site
I always thought that “practicing on the course” was not permitted in stroke play rounds but permitted in matchplay.

By practicing on the course, I mean in this specific example, holing out and then dropping your ball on the green to have another go at your missed putt.

Having a look through the rules - it seems, this is permitted? And the only circumstance it is not allowed is if you will be playing the course again that day?

Last week in club champs, a playing partner off +2 dropped his ball down to have another go at his putt, and a +1 player intervened and said he didn’t think it was allowed, I suggested it also isn’t permitted. No penalty called, no harm done… But we we wrong, right?

Has this always been the case? I feel like it’s one of those things I’ve never thought was permitted and as such, I have never done it….
It is absolutely petmitted - unless specifically prohibited by a local rule. In my living memory it has always been permitted although I am confident someone will correct me if I am wrong about that.

5.5b. Restriction on Practice Strokes Between Two Holes
Between two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke.
Exception – Where Player Allowed to Practise Putting or Chipping: The player may practise putting or chipping on or near:
*The putting green of the hole just completed and any practice green (see Rule 13.1e), and
*The teeing area of the next hole.
But such practice strokes must not be made from a bunker and must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are allowed to practise chipping and putting between two holes on or near the green of the hole you've just played or the teeing area of the next hole [Rule 5.5b]

There may, however, be a Local Rule in place prohibiting this which you would need to watch out for.

Steven Rules

Visit site
The second part of the question was whether it is still allowed is if you will be playing the course again that day. Yes it is.

Interpretation 5.2b/2
Practice Stroke After Hole But Between Rounds Allowed
The permissions for practising in Rule 5.5b (Restriction on Practice Strokes Between Two Holes) override the prohibitions in Rule 5.2b in that a player is allowed to practise on or near the putting green of the hole just completed even if he or she will play that hole again on the same day.

evemccc

Visit site
Thanks for this info - very useful for mid-round putting practice and also for putting in his place a real stickler at my club who’s adamant about the ‘no practicing on the course’ ?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Thanks for this info - very useful for mid-round putting practice and also for putting in his place a real stickler at my club who’s adamant about the ‘no practicing on the course’ ?
You might want to double check that there is no local rule in place before you approach the stickler. In my experience, such a local rule would be quite uncommon at club level but it is almost universal on the professional tours.

Visit site
Absolutely no local rule in place at our club, and something I will be sure to take advantage of in future.

Very interesting - thanks all.

I find when our greens start to get really quick, I really struggle with confidence in my length. Bizarrely, the uphill putts are worse as I’m never wanting to leave any sort of tricky return putt down the hill.

Having just a putt here or there without it making a difference to my scorecard would allow me to regain some feel and hopefully take a shot off my scorecard.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolutely no local rule in place at our club, and something I will be sure to take advantage of in future.
Having just a putt here or there without it making a difference to my scorecard would allow me to regain some feel and hopefully take a shot off my scorecard.
Be aware that you might also find that the opposite of your desired effect happens and you lose confidence!

And I've certainly noticed the occasional Tour player having a 'second go' at a putt that he missed initially but left a tap-in - as other players clear the green.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Be aware that you might also find that the opposite of your desired effect happens and you lose confidence!

And I've certainly noticed the occasional Tour player having a 'second go' at a putt that he missed initially but left a tap-in - as other players clear the green.
Might be true in match play, but nearly all professional tours use the local Rule to prohibit such practice in stroke play.

DickInShorts

Visit site

Very interesting - thanks all.

I find when our greens start to get really quick, I really struggle with confidence in my length. Bizarrely, the uphill putts are worse as I’m never wanting to leave any sort of tricky return putt down the hill.

Just make sure that you are not “unduly delaying play.”

I followed a group in a Seniors Open where one of them was putting again on every green even though we were waiting to play our approach shots. Mentioned it to him and his response was “I’m allowed to”

Pointed out he was delaying the group behind and he just shrugged his shoulders

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Whilst on the subject, our course is a nine holer and we were talking the other week about this and one chap said because you will be playing the green again you are not allowed to practise a putt as we are discussed above, will this be one of the except’s mentioned, a local rule or a made rule?

salfordlad

Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is one important point that can often be missed covered in post #2 and as per post #10

But such practice strokes ............. must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a).

Which means no holding up players waiting to play in to the green and stopping the people you are playing with from getting to the next tee promptly.

salfordlad

Visit site
Whilst on the subject, our course is a nine holer and we were talking the other week about this and one chap said because you will be playing the green again you are not allowed to practise a putt as we are discussed above, will this be one of the except’s mentioned, a local rule or a made rule?
This view is pure nonsense. On a 9 hole course, the 10th green is considered a separate green from the first green for the purpose of the application of Rule 5.5. Ditto for all the other holes.

salfordlad

Visit site
Just make sure that you are not “unduly delaying play.”

I followed a group in a Seniors Open where one of them was putting again on every green even though we were waiting to play our approach shots. Mentioned it to him and his response was “I’m allowed to”

Pointed out he was delaying the group behind and he just shrugged his shoulders
Most Committees will reprimand this person if you pass the information on.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always makes me laugh when people mention handicaps when stating rules ‘breaches’ as though a low/plus handicap equals a better understanding and knowledge of the rules ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Always makes me laugh when people mention handicaps when stating rules ‘breaches’ as though a low/plus handicap equals a better understanding and knowledge of the rules ?

I don't know why, low handicappers have probably played for a long time and therefore more experienced than people new to golf

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know why, low handicappers have probably played for a long time and therefore more experienced than people new to golf
Might be more experienced at golf but that doesn’t always equate to knowledgeable about the rules.
Always exceptions to every rule though

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

The first time I played in a Winter Alliance, a 4-handicapper in my group asked one of the others what club he was going to play on a par 3 before any of us teed off.