Practice

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to the form but have been lurking a wee while. I'm an Ex-pat Scot living in St John's, Newfoundland in Canada. Some nice golf courses here and loving the fact they have a nice short par 3/4 18 hole course.

My question is as follows.

I'm a high handicapper (28+) I'm not a member of any GC's mainly due to the lack of visibility of my secondment contract (I may be back in Aberdeen after march next year). I can't make it to a range often, but I did buy myself a range net and practice mat so I could hit golf balls in the garden. Now I know you can't see if you have faded or drawn or sliced a shot, but you do get a good feel for the shot (i.e. if its flys straight you have good posture and it feels right).

So anyway what I'm trying to say is am I wasting my time??? As a point of interest being married with two litle boys, getting to a course once a week is a great achievement (usually a sat morning with a 7 to 8ish tee time). So going to the GC and hitting balls is a rare beast. But getting into the back garden and bashing some balls is way more doable......

Any advice (p.s. I have taken some lessons and the net I feel is helping me).

PS I have been playing golf in one form or another (badly) for the last 7 years.

Cheers
Andy

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hey up, the net will certainly help with getting a grooved swing going and a feel for what is a quality hit and what isn't. In fact you might be in a better situation than most of us by being able to disregard direction while you get a repeatable swing, just don't learn any bad habits!

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great, that's pretty much what I thought. also my method of learning is hit 10 balls, then do some drills circle drill and a few practice swings. hit another 10, try using different clubs and avoid using tees.

I seem to learn better when I can do a bit then walk away from it for an hour or so then return to it and hit some more balls, kinda gives my brain some time to digest the knowledge.

I'm also about to start a fitness campaign to improve my overall fitness and I'm checking out the golf fitness programme.......

Cheers
Andy

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Andy,

Do not neglect your short game. You can use a chipping net or a bucket in the garden to sharpen up.
But it is essential to find time for a lesson from the local pro to keep you in the right direction.
Happy golfing.

crux

Club Champion
gonewhackit.blogspot.com
ok, this suggestion may be way more complex than your interested in doing, but...

If I was in your situation, I would get me a good video camera a tripod and download one of the swing analysis programs.

I would compare my swing to that of one of the swing models the soft wear provide and I would practice on getting my swing path, release and extension and the motion/tempo of my swing more like that of a pro.

If you groove a good swing path, then adjusting the fade/draw spin will be much easier later when you can see the ball fly.

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Andy,

Do not neglect your short game. You can use a chipping net or a bucket in the garden to sharpen up.
But it is essential to find time for a lesson from the local pro to keep you in the right direction.
Happy golfing.

Thanks and noted, I did get a lesson a couple of weeks ago and it helped a lot, but I wasn't able to get to the range often enough to groove the lesson. Hence buying a range net and practice mat. I already chip balls into an umberella and have done for a few years (when I've had the chance) I'm going to buy a chipping net and start with that its a smaller opening.........

Cheers
Andy

PS if anyone is up for a game in the St john's area of Newfoundland give me a PM :cool: :eek:

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ok, this suggestion may be way more complex than your interested in doing, but...

If I was in your situation, I would get me a good video camera a tripod and download one of the swing analysis programs.

I would compare my swing to that of one of the swing models the soft wear provide and I would practice on getting my swing path, release and extension and the motion/tempo of my swing more like that of a pro.

If you groove a good swing path, then adjusting the fade/draw spin will be much easier later when you can see the ball fly.

Did think about that, but where do you get a decent swing analysis software for free???

Cheers
Andy