Practice theory

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
First of all, A very merry Christmas to you all.

As I baste the Turkey I’ve literally just listened to fitness on the fairway podcast with one of the directors of swing speed. And she mentioned they recommend only using them 3 days a week as more actually makes you slower due to overtraining.

Now I know top pros put in hours upon hours most days and there’s this theory of something along the lines that it takes 10,000 hours to become good at something but I wonder if there’s something in swingspeeds view too and range practice should be no more than 2-3 times a week. Maybe strength and flexibility training in between and a bit of putting and short game.

Now I’m not fit by any means but does anyone find a similar setup effective?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Merry Christmas!
I am at the golf club every weekday afternoon from 12 onwards having completed the majority of my tasks.
I split my week up with 3 range sessions one culminating in 9 holes and then 2 days of 18 holes.
This is a very loose structure and will adapt depending on situation and conditions.
I am now at a point where I want more course time.
I have started to see some benefits such as weight loss and total game improvement.

My main reason for having a regime was based on combatting depression, recovering my golf game and social contact. Sport and fresh air have benefits that are unmeasurable and I think I have successfully combatted the issues I have faced throughout 2019.
My partner and friends don’t agree fully with me, but I know me and what works

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont think your thinking is correct, if you had all the time in the world you could easily spend 7/8/9 hours a day without overdoing it with the correct focus. Practice isnt solely about hitting full shots down a range, if your making a change it helps to reherse the move in slow motion before hitting every shot just to ingrained the feeling. Then you could be hitting balls at 40% speed if you really want to feel something. I know from my own experience that doing this you could easily spend 2+ hours to hit 100 balls. That's just the full swing, you could then spend 40 minutes hitting bunker shots, an hour putting, 45 minutes chipping, 40 minutes pitching. That's 5 hours 5 minutes. We could then go and get lunch then play 9 holes. If you enjoy practicing it's really a joy to do and the improvement you make provides the satisfaction. If I didn't have to work I could easy spend a full day at the course 6 or 7 days a week and not feel tired. There are a couple of playing tour pro's at my course, this is similar to their schedule every day, in the winter they just spend time until its dark.

Speed training is slightly different, I've started doing it and if done correctly, it's quite tiring as your using every ounce you have to swing that shaft as fast as possible. I tend to do this near the end of my practice and maybe hit 10 drives after doing it. I'm settling for doing it every 2nd day as I'm not sure doing it every day is anymore of a benefit and also my left forearm from doing the left handed swings gets a little tight. More likely just because I've never really swung a club left handed before.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Merry Christmas!
I am at the golf club every weekday afternoon from 12 onwards having completed the majority of my tasks.
I split my week up with 3 range sessions one culminating in 9 holes and then 2 days of 18 holes.
This is a very loose structure and will adapt depending on situation and conditions.
I am now at a point where I want more course time.
I have started to see some benefits such as weight loss and total game improvement.

My main reason for having a regime was based on combatting depression, recovering my golf game and social contact. Sport and fresh air have benefits that are unmeasurable and I think I have successfully combatted the issues I have faced throughout 2019.
My partner and friends don’t agree fully with me, but I know me and what works
yes I see golf as the same way. It’s fantastic for mental health ?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I dont think your thinking is correct, if you had all the time in the world you could easily spend 7/8/9 hours a day without overdoing it with the correct focus. Practice isnt solely about hitting full shots down a range, if your making a change it helps to reherse the move in slow motion before hitting every shot just to ingrained the feeling. Then you could be hitting balls at 40% speed if you really want to feel something. I know from my own experience that doing this you could easily spend 2+ hours to hit 100 balls. That's just the full swing, you could then spend 40 minutes hitting bunker shots, an hour putting, 45 minutes chipping, 40 minutes pitching. That's 5 hours 5 minutes. We could then go and get lunch then play 9 holes. If you enjoy practicing it's really a joy to do and the improvement you make provides the satisfaction. If I didn't have to work I could easy spend a full day at the course 6 or 7 days a week and not feel tired. There are a couple of playing tour pro's at my course, this is similar to their schedule every day, in the winter they just spend time until its dark.

Speed training is slightly different, I've started doing it and if done correctly, it's quite tiring as your using every ounce you have to swing that shaft as fast as possible. I tend to do this near the end of my practice and maybe hit 10 drives after doing it. I'm settling for doing it every 2nd day as I'm not sure doing it every day is anymore of a benefit and also my left forearm from doing the left handed swings gets a little tight. More likely just because I've never really swung a club left handed before.
Yeah. I guess I was referring to doing a section of practice more than 3 days a week.

The lady on the podcast from superspeed golf was very prescriptive. She said evidence suggested that their method more than 3 times a week would actually slow people down. I guess this may have something to do with wrong muscle density maybe.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Swingspeed system is about building muscle and muscle tone, so the days between sessions are required to allow for recovery and adaptation.

As mentioned very eloquently, the same restrictions need not apply to other aspects of golf training.