Practice swing why? Who needs it?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A lot of shots require some 'Feel' . I have to practice the shot in this case until I have the 'feel' correct. Chips, pitches, low flyers, lobs, bunkers, come to mind but also if the shot needs shaping then a little rehearsal helps.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take 1 practice swing at least with every shot, if it's a bit of dodgy lie or not a simple shot i will take more until i feel ok.

It doubt it makes any diffrence but it's just someting i have always done.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take 1 practice swing at least with every shot, if it's a bit of dodgy lie or not a simple shot i will take more until i feel ok.

It doubt it makes any diffrence but it's just someting i have always done.

At least one with every shot?
Or more until you feel ok?

Ever worked out how much of your round - and the round of those behind you - is wasted on so many practice swings?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a swing or two before I hit the shot....for several reasons.
Firstly, say on a par 4, it's normal for me to hit a driver followed by an iron so I want to feel the difference in length of the iron I'm going to hit whether it's a 3 iron or a wedge.
Secondly, I dont think of it as a practice swing, to me it's a rehearshal swing. (I do my practice on the range)
I rehearse what I want to do with the shot and then try and replicate the rehearshal swing with the ball in the way.
Always have done, always will do.
It doesn't take long and it doesn't tire me out.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I swish a 5 iron back and forth about half a dozen times before I go onto the first tee, then normally only do a proper practice swing on chips/pitches.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Practise swing why? Who needs it?

I would have thought a Pre-swing would/is part of your pre-shot routine/set up. I will do exactly the same before each shot,( except putting). It is part of the routine to put me in the zone to take the shot. (no matter where the ball ends up).