PPI claims

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who has successfully claimed for miss sold PPI ??
My mum and dad have paid PPI on their mortgage for 20 years, it was with northern rock, now northern rock asset management, mortgage is now paid off and I think they would be a genuine candidate for a claim, she has direct debit statements from 2003 until it was paid of in 2013, nothing before that though. however they aren't really able to deal with it themselves now so I said I'd do it. I looking for advice on how best to get them a successful claim. Iv read a lot on moneysavingexpert etc etc. Iv got to the point where Iv downloaded a questionnaire to fill in, I feel,however that they are asking loaded questions that could hamper the claim. Any advice ???

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I got around 2750-3k from mine, did the forms myself and posted them meaning no commission to any 3rd part co. Very easy to do as you only have to fill in the important bits and the banks can tell you if you paid it (if you werent sure) and how much compensation. Different companies have different levels though which I found a bit odd.
Barclays found I had paid 2 months before I got a chance to cancel back in 2004, they gave me around £500 due to interest and whatever, HSBC was similar but only refunded £75 or so. Citibank and Ulsterbank were very worthwhile too for me, no hassles other than taking their time to the fullest letter of the PPI refund scheme rules.
One company did refuse to refund me because they reckoned I couldnt have kept up my credit card payments had I lost my job, I forwarded them 5 refund letters from other companies stating the contrary, still didnt pay out but think ive missed the boat now though to go through the Financial Ombudsman.
My advice, is to definitely go for it yourself. The forms are on the moneysaving expert website forums etc.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Put the claim in. If it's rejected, appeal to the FIA(?).

I've claimed 3 lots back. First one took a good while and involved appeals. Subsequent two went through without a problem.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've made a few successful claims and the key thing is to show that you either didn't need PPI, weren't given the option not to take it or that it was implied that the chances of being approved the loan or mortgage were greater if you took the PPI. If they had savings or an existing policy against redundancy then they wouldn't have also needed PPI.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Simba, I had a phone call the other day, no claim no fee. However if you have a claim they get 35% of the value. I told them not to send the form and guess what arrived today and went straight in the bin.
I went into Santander and asked about claiming.
They told me to go onto the Martin Lewis website, download a form and send it onto Santander.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have managed to claim back PPI. I used the guide on the Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert website. It talks you through it step by step and also has template letters you can use.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following my divorce I bought a flat in 1999, and took out a small repayment mortgage over 15 years. I was self employed at the time but was advised to take out payment protection. I forgot all about this, and even though I was bombarded with adverts and phone calls, it never twigged that I had been missold PPI. One day, out of the blue, I had a phone call from my bank asking me to check if I had had a PPI or not. I looked back over my paperwork, and sure enough I had signed for the PPI, but it turned out that as I was self employed, it did not apply to me. I managed to claim back all I had paid over the period, plus interest at 8% which came to a substantial sum. So if you have any doubt, I would advise you to check things out.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
still didnt pay out but think ive missed the boat now though to go through the Financial Ombudsman.

Not so sure about that, I have a couple of complaints being handled by the Ombudsman. I'm pretty sure they will take it on just expect to wait a hell of a long time for anything to happen as they are inundated

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
my wife went into the bank and asked for her 'loan' account numbers, was given a number by customer service and after a phone call claimed back £14k.

if you have the account/loan numbers it should be easy enough to make a claim yourself, if unsure then go to CIB, it's free so no middle man taking a cut

good luck

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, she has evidence she's paid it from 2003 onwards. Will we still be able to claim for the 10 years before that?
The mortgage was with northern rock but the PPI was with pinnacle or something but was set up through northern rock, will this make a difference??

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, she has evidence she's paid it from 2003 onwards. Will we still be able to claim for the 10 years before that?
The mortgage was with northern rock but the PPI was with pinnacle or something but was set up through northern rock, will this make a difference??

If they have records of the account Id say yea. Try it and see.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
dont use a company to claim back any ppi claims just go to the banks you used and they will do everything for you at no cost,wife has made number of claims got back over 16k in total.