posture

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hi, having some issues with skying my driver. I have tried a few things - low & slow back, head behind ball, left shoulder tilted up etc. but seem to struggle to prevent this. Does anyone stand taller with the driver compared to their irons. In theory i think it would allow me to swing more round than up and down and this should shallow out my swing plane, but i am seeing conflicting thoughts on this elsewhere? what is, if any the difference set up-wise between the two?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The shaft is longer so the plane should be a fraction flatter as you're standing further from the ball. Low and slow often relates to steep on the downswing (and skying the ball) - not necessarily, but often. Also your head getting in front of the ball. Your hips going left (towards the target) helps to shallow out a steep plane provided your head stays back somewhat.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It may be that you are swinging too steep, you may also be teeing too high. A Video would help.

Here is a little drill that you might try. When at the range if they have those square ball baskets then lay one on it's side behind the teed ball and let the handle push out over the top of the ball. Make some easy swings so that you can strike the ball without hitting the handle. Nice and easy so you dont strike the basket and this will give you the feeling of a flatter swing.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It can also be that you're losing your height in the downswing. If you lose your height then you'll come down too steep. Concentrate on keeping your height, this is certainly in my own swing thought.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The shaft is longer so the plane should be a fraction flatter as you're standing further from the ball. Low and slow often relates to steep on the downswing (and skying the ball) - not necessarily, but often. Also your head getting in front of the ball. Your hips going left (towards the target) helps to shallow out a steep plane provided your head stays back somewhat.

COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH, ( joke )

Actually this advice is spot on, i would suggest you are moving your upper body too much towards the target at impact

Also excessive high shots could be caused with very tall tees and steep club approach, try something like the pink Castle Tee

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH, ( joke )

Actually this advice is spot on, i would suggest you are moving your upper body too much towards the target at impact

Also excessive high shots could be caused with very tall tees and steep club approach, try something like the pink Castle Tee

Haha! :)

I would say that lowering the tee would potentially cause the player to have to hit down on it even more. Understanding how to bring the club down in a more 'sweeping' motion is the key.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys, point made about losing height could be helpful as i think may dip on occasion. Btw i tee up with half the ball showing and i know my path is too steep, the thing i was wondering was if i stood more upright would i swing flatter and does this differ from the posture i should use for an iron - more bent over ball.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Couldn't it be something as simple that the ball is tee'd up too far forward in the stance so you're effectively sweeping it up into the air on impact, or perhaps too far back and as you hit down onto the ball it causes it to shoot up?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
the thing i was wondering was if i stood more upright would i swing flatter and does this differ from the posture i should use for an iron - more bent over ball.

Yes,..... a little bit.

The answer is actually quite complex (it's a very clever question!) but as the shaft of the club gets longer so we lose our posture a little, the hands get higher and we get a little further from the ball... it's all to do with the lie of the club.

Regarding the post above, YES, you can also tinker with your ball position, not only how far forward/back you tee the ball up but how close you stand to the ball.... not easy this geometry stuff, huh? :)

There is no hard and fast rule seeing as every player likely sets up to the ball a little differently or likes the ball tee'd a different way, so you have to look at the likely culprits.... or go get a lesson so you've got a second pair of eyes looking at what your doing and not just someone like me who's looking at a keyboard.... or you could post a vid(s) of your swing......?

Last edited: