Possible new irons? Looking for advice

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been toying with the idea of getting a new set of irons for 2013

I'm hitting my own quite well and they're a lovely club but still fancy a change. I did a fitting recently and the purpose of this was to determine what are the best shafts for me in both woods and irons. At present in my irons I have Nippon NS pro 950 stiff. The fitting reccommendations was for Dynamic Gold SL X100
This didn't lead to any extra distance but really improved dispersion. And that's fine with me as I'm happy with my distances. The big plus was that my shots were only a few yards left or right of the target on most shots and I can see how this would be a huge help to me next season trying to get handicap lower.

Now I know most will say I should have tried lots of irons at the fitting but I was trying to fit in a lot during the hour and was more focused on just getting the correct shaft option. The majority of the time was spent trying to get the woods correct as they have been a major problem for me

Anyway the fitter said he could reshaft my old irons with the new shafts for £35 per club

I think my options are this

1. Reshaft my old irons 4-pw at £35 per club (£245 total)

2. Get the fitter to reccommend a new set. Could cost £550 plus I'd reckon

3. Look on eBay for a set I'd like at a good price and get them reshafted

So looking for a bit of advice? What would anyone think?

The sensible thing would probably be to reshaft my own as I know with the correct shaft ill hit them well. But also I'd like the idea of getting a set of forged irons. My friend has a set of wilson staff fg forged , I've had a few shots with them and they feel great. So I'm tempted to get a new set and as you all know its hard to resist new gear!! :)

Give me guidance? :)

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you could always just buy the shafts and install them yourself, gamola has them at £15 so £110 would cover it.(it's easy btw)
Failing that new shiney Wilsons sound the ticket!

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure i could install the shafts myself, that would be a big saving though.

I know my current set are hard stepped. As far as I'm aware this means for example my 6 iron has a shaft of a 7 iron.

If I was buying a good used set I'd be thinking Mizuno are pretty appealing.

I'd love some taylormade or titleist MB's but might not be a good move, not sure I'd be good enough for those clubs

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found the mp59 to be a bit more forgiving than the ap2 when i got fit for mine, dont be put off by mizuno, they are more forgiving than they look. I hit my irons well most the time, but even the mis-hits go straight :)
I know you said that your fitted for a shaft, i would try and get a go with some on the range or course to make sure, i have s300 in my mizzys but i have a set of callaways with px rifle 6.0's in, i can use them both but the mizzys are more workable.
good luck