Possible causes of strong hooks.

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Unfortunately I have no money going spare at the moment so that I can get lessons. I'm striking the ball alright but my draw seems to have gotten a lot stronger and hooks have become increasingly common. I'm just looking to find out common causes of hooks so I can maybe see if it's something I've changed and not noticed. I don't even have a video of my swing so I know it's not a lot for you guys to go off of. Any and all help is appreciated.

Additional info:
Draw happens on most full shots.
Most draw and most hooks are with the driver.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In to out swing path with a neutral or closed face isn't it?

If it's mainly with your driver try checking ball position, it might be too far forward in your stance.

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
I had a really nice slight draw for a while and the over-draw and destructive hook have only just appeared recently. Will check ball position with driver. That is a very strong possibility. Possibly closing the face a tad at address. Need to go hit some balls tomorrow and see if I can't sort it out. Cheers Matty.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you moved your head in front of the ball at impact, will cause low pulls and hooks

I had a spell of this when trying to leather it and discovered that my over done hip turn was also a move too far towards target leaving head in front of the ball.

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Have you moved your head in front of the ball at impact, will cause low pulls and hooks

I had a spell of this when trying to leather it and discovered that my over done hip turn was also a move too far towards target leaving head in front of the ball.

Hmmmm this one is sounding like it could be the cause. I've been working on getting my hip turning better. I've probably started moving towards the target.

You might be getting a bit Flicky with the wrists which is causing the club face to close at impact?

Had considered that first but checked and the wrists aren't flicking. Perhaps I'm closing it at setup though.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Been there and done it too, this started my bad spell trying to turn the hips and a slight bump caused me a complete body shift to the target and i was duck hooking, skying and pulling them on every drive

i took this out of my swing and thought hip turn and turn off the arms and gentle drives

Results were amazing, just started to draw the ball first time in ages !

Alot of my tips and cures have been from watching Paul Wilson Ignition golf series and he explains things very well

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A Vid would be helpful.

Swinging the club too much down the line or right of target in the follow through is one cause. This is normally accompanied by high hands in the finish.

If you think this may be the problem then feel that you are swinging more around to the left of target in the follow through.

S

Snelly

The most likely answer is you're not fully completing your backswing and hitting from the top. Turn properly, more that usual even. It will go away.