Poll: Who would you like to be captain of Europe's Ryder Cup team in 2023?

Who would you like to be captain of Europe's Ryder Cup team in 2023?

• Henrik Stenson

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Luke Donald

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • AN Other

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's be honest, apart from the appalling Faldo captaincy, it really isn't down to the captain, its down to the players. The US side is very very strong right now, and the European leading players mostly seem to be in a funk, and not the Bruno Mars Uptown kind. Rory is looking like he wants a career change, Rose, Poulter, Westwood, Garcia and Casey are all on the decline and some of the could-be-the-next-great-things like Hatton and Fleetwood are missing in action. Unless we can build a team around Rahmbo and Hovland, we are stuffed. Maybe Min-Woo Lee could discover some European ancestry. In a few years time, if the Hojgaard boys, McIntyre, Hill, Horsfield and Migliozzi come through, maybe we will be back in business, but right now it looks like boys versus men.

That said, I think a captain like Donald could make the best of a bad job, and have a strategic eye on the future at the same time.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
What do people like about Stenson? Other than being pretty normal, funny, one of the good guys etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What do people like about Stenson? Other than being pretty normal, funny, one of the good guys etc
That is a pretty good start isn't it? Works for most of us. When he is interviewed he gives honest answers, often dry and funny. In a world of monotone, trained media friendly golfers (read boring), he is always fun to listen to.

Add to that, his love of using 3 wood off the tee, old tech at that, in a world of changing driver every season. It's like Robert Rock not wearing a hat, I know how to work you :LOL:. We have an affinity for someone doing this.

(If this was a rhetorical question I apologise for my stupidity. In my defence it is cold at work, still a heater down :mad:)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
It's time to modernise the whole show. Just like the Youtubers infiltrating boxing, surely Crossfield as Captain and his 'friends' as vices would be the way to go. I mean he knows it all, even when he doesn't, so he's already on a par with Clarke.....

In the real world, and in no way is this meant to deride Westwood and the career he has had, but if he automatically qualifies Europe might be even bigger trouble than they currently are!

sunshine

Visit site
Out of the ones mentioned I would prefer Henrik, he is a major winner and proven he is a winner.

Since I've watched the RC, Faldo and Clarke have been the worst European captains by quite some distance. I don't think Clarke took it seriously (looked like he was winging it), and Faldo missed the team spirit element. Both major winners. I believe being a single minded solo major winner has zero relevance to captaining the RC team.

We've seen major winners make great captains (e.g. Langer) but we've also seen McGinley, who never got anywhere near winning a major, make a superb captain.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Since I've watched the RC, Faldo and Clarke have been the worst European captains by quite some distance. I don't think Clarke took it seriously (looked like he was winging it), and Faldo missed the team spirit element. Both major winners. I believe being a single minded solo major winner has zero relevance to captaining the RC team.

We've seen major winners make great captains (e.g. Langer) but we've also seen McGinley, who never got anywhere near winning a major, make a superb captain.
Don't forget the perennial major bridesmaid Monty did a sterling job too. I think Stenson would actually make a good job. Still current in terms of tour playing, has a sense of humour and I think he'd have a steely reserve as well and leave no stone unturned. I think Poults will get the gig at some point but would be good to give it to an European until then

D

Deleted member 23270

Don't forget the perennial major bridesmaid Monty did a sterling job too. I think Stenson would actually make a good job. Still current in terms of tour playing, has a sense of humour and I think he'd have a steely reserve as well and leave no stone unturned. I think Poults will get the gig at some point but would be good to give it to an European until then
I see what you did there. Since Brexit Poulter is no longer a European?

sunshine

Visit site

I think Stenson would be good. I imagine the press conferences would be fun, probably a lot of banter in the dressing room too.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Absolutely, Clarke gets far too easy a time of it. I'd agree with your take as well, unprepared, just an outing with his mates. Mark James shouldn't get off scot free either

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Think Poulter will get the Bethpage gig with Mickelson. Which, on a bucket list of golf things to do, could be tremendous. Or, equally, bloody awful