Police Verification

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
My, you do go OTT sometimes. Your last sentence in the context of your reply is inferring that hardly any policeman is now to be trusted.
Almost everyone else here accepts that most are trustworthy, with one or two bad apples, as in all professions and occupations.
I think you’d be surprised at just how little trust people have in the police, especially the younger generations.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My, you do go OTT sometimes. Your last sentence in the context of your reply is inferring that hardly any policeman is now to be trusted.
Almost everyone else here accepts that most are trustworthy, with one or two bad apples, as in all professions and occupations.

One or two bad apples in every profession.

Is that false equivalence or whatabouttery?

My last sentence does not infer that hardly any policeman is now to be trusted. It infers that people in a position of legal authority, who administer the law in fact, are in a very different position to those in other roles, but there is a naive attachment by many to a long outdated, if it was ever true, picture in which the police are routinely to be trusted, and it extends to a view that if they have to sometimes bend a rule or two, it was probably justified. Trust is must too easily conferred to many people in positions of power.

RichA

Visit site
I think you’d be surprised at just how little trust people have in the police, especially the younger generations.
I think you'd be surprised that most of the published data, be it from ONS surveys or research by social change movements like Revolving Doors, contradicts your generalisation about what people think, especially the younger ones.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

RichA

Visit site
High 70s % suggests a surprisingly good level of trust to me, but it's all about perception.
If you'd asked me when I was under 25, I would have been in the negative camp. I wouldn't have trusted any young person who blindly trusted authority. Time and age changes things a little, but I'm still generally cynical about authority and honestly surprised that the numbers are so positive.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
High 70s % suggests a surprisingly good level of trust to me, but it's all about perception.
If you'd asked me when I was under 25, I would have been in the negative camp. I wouldn't have trusted any young person who blindly trusted authority. Time and age changes things a little, but I'm still generally cynical about authority and honestly surprised that the numbers are so positive.
I think those numbers are damning.