Plymouth

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I see Bigbury and Thurlestone golf courses. Anybody played these?
Played both, and both are nice clifftop challenges and the devil in a wind. Of the two I probably preferred Thurlestone. We’ve friends with a place in Noss and go to it every year for few days, so if you need any tips for when staying there PM me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bigbury and Thurlestone. I have never played either but have seen good words about them

Staddon Heights just the other side of Wembury is one I have played a few times. Nothing special, nice views over the Sound, take an old SW the bunkers are filled with crushed marble to stop it blowing away.

Wrangaton is an experience one 9 is on the moors and the other nine is in the woods.

Yelverton has had good mentions

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I see Bigbury and Thurlestone golf courses. Anybody played these?
I am told that Peter Allis once said in a TV commentary that the view from the 11th at Thurlestone (it overlooks Burgh Island at Bigbury) is the best in all of golf.

I've only played Thurlestone once, but it was very enjoyable. The most difficult aspect of the course is getting there - all the roads leading to it are narrow country lanes.

D-S

Visit site
I’ve played them both a few times. Both fun with interesting views, I think Thurlestone is more highly regarded but little to choose between them. Personally I would go for Bigbury, access to both is a bit of a pain.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Sums up lots of Devon in a nutshell.
Well yes, but the roads to Thurlestone are particularly tricky, and you have to go quite a long way on them.

I now live in Devon, and Thurlestone is the most out of the way course to get to I've come across so far.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well yes, but the roads to Thurlestone are particularly tricky, and you have to go quite a long way on them.

I now live in Devon, and Thurlestone is the most out of the way course to get to I've come across so far.

That area is terrible to get to, Bantham is my favourite beach but such a pain to get to

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
China Fleet very close to Plymouth, decent course with nice views of the river

St Mellion about 20 mins away, Nicklaus course is an absolute beast

Tavistock not far from Plymouth, a proper moorland course which are very rare, if you haven't played on the moors before I would recommend as the turf is unique

Thurlsetone and Bigbury very enjoyable courses with great views, I would agree Thurlsestone is the better of the two, but you wouldn't be disappointed with Bigbury

Heading back into Cornwall, Whitsand Bay is quirky, tee shots over greens, but lovely feel and great sea views

Looe is a nice course probably down the list compared to others but possibly quieter than the others too

Dartmouth is not far in miles but again a bit of a drive, a very nice course with lovely country views, plus you can go into Dartmouth town for dinner and go to the Seahorse which is a fantastic fish restaurant

A bit further away, about 40-60 mins drive you have Teignmouth which is a McKenzie heathland on the cliff tops

I grew up in Devon and have played all these many times

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
St Mellion is miles better than anywhere else in the area.

Agree, it is the only one that is close holding tour events properly, it did in the past. It is brutal though, and the views are not as good as the other courses mentioned. Depends if you want the OP wants to get out of it, the biggest challenge or good walk and nice course

Jason.H

Visit site
Agree, it is the only one that is close holding tour events properly, it did in the past. It is brutal though, and the views are not as good as the other courses mentioned. Depends if you want the OP wants to get out of it, the biggest challenge or good walk and nice course
Looking to get 3 or 4 rounds in through the week. Plus decent practice area for short game would be good.

Jason.H

Visit site
China Fleet very close to Plymouth, decent course with nice views of the river

St Mellion about 20 mins away, Nicklaus course is an absolute beast

Tavistock not far from Plymouth, a proper moorland course which are very rare, if you haven't played on the moors before I would recommend as the turf is unique

Thurlsetone and Bigbury very enjoyable courses with great views, I would agree Thurlsestone is the better of the two, but you wouldn't be disappointed with Bigbury

Heading back into Cornwall, Whitsand Bay is quirky, tee shots over greens, but lovely feel and great sea views

Looe is a nice course probably down the list compared to others but possibly quieter than the others too

Dartmouth is not far in miles but again a bit of a drive, a very nice course with lovely country views, plus you can go into Dartmouth town for dinner and go to the Seahorse which is a fantastic fish restaurant

A bit further away, about 40-60 mins drive you have Teignmouth which is a McKenzie heathland on the cliff tops

I grew up in Devon and have played all these many times
Some great information thank you 🙏

The Fader

Visit site
Looking to get 3 or 4 rounds in through the week. Plus decent practice area for short game would be good.
St. Mellion has a large practice putting green, chipping green, driving range and a
larger short game area at the far side of the car park.

Personally from a Plymouth base, I'd stick with China Fleet and St. Mellion. Close
by and easy to get to.

I'd have a warm up round at China Fleet and then 2 x Nicklaus and 1 x Kernow at St.Mellion.