Plugged ball

Rob McBride

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before but a plugged ball on the fairway can be marked with a peg, cleaned and replaced (under winter rules), and the rules state for an embedded ball:

A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. “Closely-mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

Is this around the green or on the fairway as well - any time of the year?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
i think you answered it with the quote:

“Closely-mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are talking about two different rules here. The ball embedded in its own pitchmark rule applies throughout the year. The first situation you mention applies during the preferred lies period (winter rules) only. In both cases the ball must be on a close mown area i.e. cut to fairway length or lower. The difference is that, for the embedded ball, relief is by dropping the ball and, in the other case, placing within 6 inches.

If your ball is plugged on a close mown area when winter rules are in force, you can take relief under either rule i.e. drop or place.

Rob McBride

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thank you, it's always confused me and often i don't lift around the green for fear of penalty in the comps, and generally only apply it during winter. That's locked away now for those high bombing wedges nto the green!!