Please Help. Wilson Pd6

Andy1985

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

Im after a bit of advice,

I have recently been overcome by an urge to play golf, albeit on a budget.

a good friend of mine gifted me a set of lighlty used wilson 1200 irons, a couple of other bits and a bag to get me started. I just needed a Driver and 3 wood.

I saw on ebay a used (vgc) yonex v-mass marage 3 wood (£20), and a Wilson Pd6 driver (£24) got this confused with the Dd6) also in excellent condition.

My concern is that i have read that the Pd6 is not a good choice for a beginner, (which is why i was thinking Dd6).

I this going to be an impossible club for me to hit? or should i give it a try?

thanks for any advise!

Andy

edit: driver is 10* loft

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While the Dd6 is designed to be more forgiving - and the Pd6 designed more for the 'better' player, it would by no means be an 'impossible' choice. It might even encourage a better swing, which would likely help in the future.

Good Liuck

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
If possible I'd suggest going to a shop/pro shop where you can try out the clubs a bit before you buy. I'm not sure you'd find 2nd hand clubs as cheap as that in abundance in store though. Maybe see if you can try some "common" clubs that are a few years old that you might be able to go home and find on ebay/golfbidder etc. As for the Pd6 I wouldn't recommend it as a starter club. Based on reviews it seems a smaller head and aimed more at low handicappers.

If you're on a budget and unsure if you're going to keep playing it might be worth going to Sports direct or the like and picking up a couple on Dunlops or something to get you started. I've got a few friends that did that then upgraded in due course. I think the overwhelming advice on here will probably be to get yourself down your nearest pro shop and ask the pro for advice. They'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Andy1985

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for advice so far.

@TP077, I hear what you are saying regarding very cheap clubs at sports direct, but my rational was to get a lot more club for the same money as a very low budget dunlop. that way i could sell it on for the same money (assuming i dont take chunks out of it in the learning process. if i dont get on with it or find something i like better. this was just a way to complete my bag cheaply.#

Looking at playing my first full round next week, and have been hitting a borrowed 3 wood (incidently a cheap dunlop) nice and straight and airborne, albeit not that far.

TPO77

Club Champion
Visit site
Nothing wrong with not hitting it that far if you can hit it straight. Accuracy will get you playing better a lot faster than far and reckless. A lesson I learnt the hard way. Enjoy your first round buddy and let us know how you get on. You'll be fully bitten by the golf bug in no time

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
try the local car boot sale a lad at work picked up a full set of wilson clubs inc driver and bag for £20 all in good nick,he has just started and will do him for the time being,they will be ideal as a trade in when he decides if golf is for him.

Andy1985

Hacker
Visit site
Well, update no1. Yonex v-mass marage 3 wood arrived this morning, immaculate bar one small scuff on toe. Even has origninal price for £149.99 on it. Feels amazing in my hands. After a few practice swings/mi*****, it goes like a dream. Long and airborne and like a frozen rope!

Andy1985

Hacker
Visit site
Well everyone, here is the update.

Played,my first 18 holes, and shot 100. Was a very rushed round to get in before dark, and I know I could have hit a lot of shots way better. Only hit 2/3 tee shots that I was happy with. But I have what I think is a good target and I know wherei can shave a good few shots off.

On a positive. A 20ft putt and a 120yd 7 iron over trees onto the dance floor was enjoyable.

Andy

Andy1985

Hacker
Visit site
Well everyone, here is the update.

Played,my first 18 holes, and shot 100. Was a very rushed round to get in before dark, and I know I could have hit a lot of shots way better. Only hit 2/3 tee shots that I was happy with. But I have what I think is a good target and I know wherei can shave a good few shots off.

On a positive. A 20ft putt and a 120yd 7 iron over trees onto the dance floor was enjoyable.

Andy