Please have a look

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steven, Hi and Welcome to the forum.

Neil Plimmer is one of GM's top 25 coaches and hopefully will be along shortly to check over your swing. However, he does require you to answer a few questions about your game so he can assess you fully.

Below are the questions I have C&P from his thread.

Do you have regular coaching at the moment? If yes, what have you specifically been working on?
What do you consider to be the strengths of your game?
Weaknesses?
How often do you play/practise?
What is your scoring average/handicap?
Do you keep stats?
What is your strike/shot/shape pattern for the following clubs
Driver/Tee shots
Fariway woods
Rescue Clubs
Long/medium irons
Short irons

If you want to see the original thread, click here.

P.S Bit of J.Furyk going on, but I like it :cool:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi, I saw the article in Golf Monthly offering a free experts opinion on my swing. I would grateful for an opinion and if poss a suggested routine to help me correct my most serious flaw. Thanks in anticipation Steven811

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdVUar3zx-Y&feature=channel_page

I'm guessing that you hit it right to left a bit too much sometimes, but I'll say no more and let Neil the expert help you. :)

Steven811

Visit site
Hi

My hcap is 11.
Yes, I'm having coaching (just started) and have been working on posture, balance and learning to just turn my shoulders rather than manipulate everything with my hands and arms. I get very closed at the top too.
At the mo I'm play 2/3 times a week and practice too.
I do not keep stats.
Drive tee shots, slight draw. (220yd carry ish)
Fairway woods, slight draw with the odd block or snap hook. (7 wood 190yd carry, 4 wood 200yd)
Long/med irons, same shape
Shorts irons, fairly straight, odd hook

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi, I saw the article in Golf Monthly offering a free experts opinion on my swing. I would grateful for an opinion and if poss a suggested routine to help me correct my most serious flaw. Thanks in anticipation Steven811

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdVUar3zx-Y&feature=channel_page

I'm guessing that you hit it right to left a bit too much sometimes, but I'll say no more and let Neil the expert help you. :)
steven.jpg

The position of the clubface is a bit on the closed side which is probably causing the hooks. Is your grip a bit strong?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I clicked on the link and the video lasted about 1.37 seconds. :) :D

I couldn't even start it and click pause fast enough to see anything...

I see bob has managed....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do have a drill to improve your backswing.

I can describe it because I've been doing it a lot (not so much last month) but nonetheless.

I'll post if you would like.... :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you have enough to think about from what your pro has said.
I'm pleased but not surprised he hasn't changed your backswing though.
It is how we say not text book but you get to a good position at the top so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just watch that clubface pointing at the sky (closed)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
bob...have you got any tips to trim a few inches off that plane? It's a big boy....!! :)
..joke..

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Lots of concerns with this swing. Taking back on the outside isn't necessarily wrong provided you can bring it all back together on the downswing. As Bob says...as little shut at the top. What gets me is the loss of spine angle. It looks like you are transferring a heap of weight onto your right leg and lifting up in the process, making your swing even steeper. Looks like you have the ball way too far back in your stance...The swing is full of compensations.

If you are going to stick with your current style then I'd start by working on posture and ball position, you're having to work with a srong grip just to get anything on the ball.

hope this helps.

Steven811

Visit site
Thanks for taking a look RGDave and yes if you have a drill to help me start the club on a better plane I'd like to hear about it. Amazing (to me) that I've developed this fault and didn't know that it was so pronounced.

I've been working on the old Leadbetter idea of a towel under the arms to keep everything connected.

Thanks again

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Dave makes a good point about the backswing and if it led to a bad position at the top of the backswing I would say go ahead and fix it.
The good news is it doesn't.
As I said before I would check the closed clubface at the top, after all, it's the hook you want fixing isnt it?